Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Netley Military Hospital 1914

brownag

I would say yes. Try looking in the indexes to Births, marriages and deaths for the relevant quarter. If you find him, he has a certificate. Generally, a service death certificate was only used for people dying abroad. Those who died at home should have a standard UK certificate.

Rob

I would also say yes. If he died in the UK then he should have a UK death certificate. From 1st April you will be able to search BMD indexes for England and Wales on line at: www.1837online.com. Cost will be £5 per 50 page views. Let's hope it doesn't crash like the 1901 Census online.

Thanks lads. The chap in question was a Scots Grey who died on 27.8.14. He is not listed on the Scots Grey's Memorial on Princes Street in Edinburgh but he is commemorated on the Rogart War Memorial and also on his family gravestone in Rogart as died of wounds. At the moment I'm guessing he was injured during the Regiment's move to France and died in Netley a few days later.

Cheers

Adam

Adam,

Rather than pay, try www.freebmd.rootsweb.com

This is a genealogy website. The volunteers are putting the indexes to Births, Marriages and Deaths onto the web, from 1837. Not yet sure if they cover all the way up to WW1, but has to be worth a look.

The 1837 website has been promising to go live for some time now.

Rob

Rather than pay, try www.freebmd.rootsweb.com

Rob

Is that web address corect as I can't seem to access it.

Regards

Rob Hamilton