Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Hythe

westkent78

Many years ago, I acquired the 1914-15 Star trio, Defence Medal and Dog Tags awarded to 2211 Driver William Samuel Hodges, 1/3rd Kent RE who survived the sinking of HMS Hythe. Also with his medals was the single British War Medal awarded to his brother 2212 Driver Albert Edward Hodges, 1/3rd Kent RE who drowned on 31st October, 1915 during the sinking.

William died on 25th January, 1981 and as can be seen from the attached newspaper clip he was believed to have been the last known survivor.

Sepoy

post-55476-0-65721500-1330027066.jpg

post-55476-0-13691500-1330027156.jpg

• 3 years later...
Guest emmapierce

Hello everyone!

Im very happy to have discovered this post! My great grandmas first husband was aboard the HMS Hythe when he drowned. He was Albert Edward Skinner, Driver, 2029 in 1st/3rd Kent Field Company, Royal Engineers. Left my great grandma widowed with one child.

Its very interesting reading all of your information and recently looked at the Southborough Sappers book, where i disovered a photo of Albert, we had never seen a photograph before now!

As its the 100th anniversary this year - does anyone know if there is any special memorial services happening?

Thanks

Emma

• 1 month later...

Message for Emma:

There will be two services commemorating the Centenary of the sinking of HMS Hythe in Tunbridge Wells in October this year.

One is a Drumhead Service being held in Civic Way, Tunbridge Wells, on Wednesday 28th October 2015, c.4pm.

The other is a memorial service being held here at St Matthew's Church on Saturday 31st October 2015 at 3pm. The Southborough Historical Society are

putting together a display of archive material relating to the incident and there will be refreshments held in our Church Centre afterwards. The Hythe

Memorial is housed in our church and was paid for by Capt "Reggie" Salomons' father, Sir David. If anyone would like to attend our service, please let me know on 01892 618108 or email

at office@stmattschurch.org.uk.

Hope this helps.

Clare

Administrator

• 2 years later...

I realise this is an old thread but it is being brought to life for me at the moment.  My latest batch of IFCP, SER list have all the men from the Hythe. Poignant as I am also a Sapper and to see all of these men's names is really touching. One indeed was a 16 year old boy, Edward Charles Archer. They never even go the opportunity to land and do their job. 

RIP  Ubique

• 3 years later...

I have been going through the Times OCLs for Gallipoli and noticed that the list of those drowned "On night 28-29 October after collision with another HM ship off Gallipoli" is in the edition 18/11/1915. As the thread records, most of the men were from 3rd Kent Fortress Co RE (TF).

Brian

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, michaeldr said:

The wreck of HMS Hythe has recently been found - please see https://divernet.com/world-dives/hms-hythe-deep-dive-on-tragic-gallipoli-wreck/

Just for the sake of accuracy the photo of HYTHE in the diver's report is not the one sunk on 28 Oct 1915 it is the HYTHE built in 1925 to replace her.  The attached photos show the 1905 HYTHE on builder's trials off Dumbarton.

Tony

Hythe.JPG

Hythe 1.JPG