Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Database of entertainers

Kate Wills

My concert party database has been established for several years, and now, after some experimentation, I have now created a database of performers, the criteria being anyone in uniform who entertained their fellow servicemen, or assisted the war effort in this capacity, such as singing in charity concerts at home. The first 1023 are now entered, so I have a battalion’s worth (I suppose I could call them my own K1), and though it is probably not of much use to anyone at this stage, more will be added all the time, and I am happy to do lookups.

This first thousand are representative of the body as a whole, and include performers at concerts at home whilst in training; on troopships; on active service at the front (from impromptu mess sing-songs to organised shows), and concerts in hospitals and convalescent depots. It also includes nurses and members of the women’s services, and a few French nationals who took the stage at British organised events. Members of entertainment committees, backstage crew, scriptwriters, songwriters etc etc are also recorded.

Many Pals have already helped me enormously in my resarch, and I thankyou sincerely for your time and trouble. It is much appreciated. I hope the end result will be a boon to fellow researchers.

In the meantime, if you know, or come across anyone who entertained whilst in uniform, please let me know, and I will enter him or her onto the Performers Database.

Would the work of Capt. Donald C. Thompson fit your project? Advertisement for his war film attached. This appeared on December 26th, 1916.

post-3697-1261500535.jpg

This theatrical troupe was composed of men with the 9th Canadian Field Ambulance Corps.

I have found the following information on these men:

George Hugh Wadge, 530692. Born Montreal. Enlisted in Montreal on January 1916.

Arthur Brooks. Requires further research.

John Kellock Kidd, 530559. Born Dundee, Scotland in 1890. Enlisted in No. 9 Field Ambulance in Montreal in August 1915.

LC William Ross Strike, 530620. Born Morrisburg, Ontario. Law student. Enlisted in No. 9 Field Ambulance in November 1915. A war diary entry for June 1917 reports that Lance Corp. W. R. Strike "is awarded the Medaille Militaire (France) for conspicuous bravery and conscientious performance of duty in the presence of danger, notably at the YPRES SALIENT June 2nd. - 6th, 1916, at the SOMME September 13th. - October 6th. 1916; and at VIMY RIDGE (Bois de Bonval) April 10th. - 16th, 1917." A muster parade was held on June 21st, 1917 and Lance Corp. Strike was presented with this award. Further details. Promoted to Corporal in July 1917.

Sgt. Joseph Harrison Macfarlane, 530567. Born Montreal. Student. Enlisted in Montreal in December 1915.

Skelly - requires further research.

David Leonard Young, 530640. Born Montreal. Occupation = newspaper artist. Enlisted in the 9th Field Ambulance in Montreal in January 1916.

Sgt. Allan Grant Murray, 530590. The attestation is not yet available to confirm, but the service number range is accurate.

Ross Douglas Hamilton, 530643. Born Pugwash, Nova Scotia. Enlisted in No. 9 Field Ambulance in Montreal in January 1916.

Pte. Frederick Stanley Runacres, 530611. Born London, England, and enlisted in Montreal in November 1915.

The photo was sent from the front to the Regina Leader (newspaper) for a photography contest. It was published in the paper on July 7, 1917.

I have taken a quick look through the 9th Field Ambulance War Diaries. So far I haven't spotted any theatrical events, but I will put some more time into it. Around the time of the photo (if it is from early 1917) they were in the following areas: La Chaudiere, Relay Post dugouts, Bonval Wood, and Neuville St. Vaast. Details.

- Marika

P.S. It appears that these men all survived the war.

Theatrical_Troop_from_Sask_Regina_Leader

Mike,

It's all grist to my mill, so yes please, a cast list would bve welcome. Thankyou.

Marika,

Many thanks for all these leads. Yes, Capt Thompson does fit the bill (along with all the others). He'll feel at home with the lone cinema projectionist in there at present. I'll add them all, including their character roles, which forms one of the database fields.

Marika,

Do you know Capt Thompson's unit?

Also, wasn't Ross Hamilton leading light of The Dumbells?

I have the playbill for the Maple Leaves Concert Party which includes the names, roles, and some background to the play.

This is the link to the actors for the revue "Camoflage" (too large to post directly here:

Maple Leaves Concert Party - concert programme / players

These are the other images:

CEF_Program_Cover_Camoflauge.jpg

CEF_Program_Cover_Camoflauge_bck.jpg

Some of the soldiers can be looked up using the online attestations search engine.

Thankyou once again Marika. These are lovely items. I think Camouflage was one of the most famous revues produced by soldier-troupes in France.

I have acknowledged you against these entries in the database.

You are right. It seems that it is the same man.

Ross Hamilton who was with the Dumbells was born in Pugwash, Nova Scotia. It seems that this is the same man. I found a brief biography and photo of Hamilton - here.

The bio states that he was an ambulance driver. This source doesn't mention that he was with No. 9 Field Ambulance, but the other details seem consistent. This might have been one of his early roles.

----

Re: other questions. Unfortunately I don't know any more about Capt. Thompson. As he worked with Leslie's Weekly - perhaps some details turn up in those magazines. I know I have looked through some originals issues at the library. As a photographer for that magazine - he might be listed in their masthead.

Thanks Marika, this is a fine example of the reason for creating the database, as it brings facts such as these together. The linked piece merely states he was recruited for The Dumbells, but not why. Now we know that he had already impressed the smaller audiences who saw him perform with 9th FA and went on to greater things.

The Canadian war diaries frequently include information about entertainment for the soldiers. You have to look through quite a few of them. I try to save what I do find to my entertainment folder. The war diaries for the hospital units may have more potential. Here's an example from the Granville Canadian Special Hospital for January 1918. Interesting note (to me) on the lantern shows.

The Y.M.C.A. Captain who wrote this report appears to be Capt. Charles Gordon Armour who was born in New Zealand. Attestation.

Another source might be the war diaries for Canadian Chaplains. Chaplains often had to organize entertainment.

Link to Granville Canadian Special Hospital War Diaries.

- Marika

post-3697-1261514650.jpg

Many thanks Mike. They have all been added.

I don't recall reading about this in Arthur Villers memorial book.

Kate

I expect that you have the details of the 'Whizz Bangs' - 5th Division concert party!

I have five names and Lt Forsyth as manager Alan. I'd be interested to know what you have, as personnel often changed over time.

I have five names and Lt Forsyth as manager Alan. I'd be interested to know what you have, as personnel often changed over time.

Page 121 of Terry Carter's Bham Pals book has a photo of the Whizzbangs and the caption gives the following as members....

Cpl Will Kings (783), C Coy, 14th Royal Warwicks - original Archers cast

Buckley

Fleckner

Pte Edward Turley, (1171), B Coy, 14th Royal Warwicks

Smith

Skinner

Davies

Buchanan

In Captain Bill's 15th Royal Warwicks he says Cpl G Barker (1068), C Coy, 15th Royal Warwicks, was a pianist with them

Kate

Just perusing one of today's Christmas presents, "The History of the 12th (Eastern) Division" and I note that there are a couple of pages containing a dozen names, and a photo of "THE SPADES" the division's theatrical troupe. I imagine you already have this info. but if not, let me know and I'll scan it.

Also - does your database throw up a Randolph Giles of the Denbighshire Yeomanry and the Cheshire Regt. It's very much a long shot, I just wondered.

Compliments of the season

Jef

Alan,

Thankyou for the extra information. I now have 11 names for 5th Div's Whizz Bangs.

Jef,

Thankyou for the offer. I have a copy of the 12th Div history about, and will work my way around to it soon.

The only Giles I have is a Lt in 60th Division Cyclists. I'll keep a lookout for Randolph. What can you tell me about him?

re. Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars at Olne.

Kate - I don't have Villiers info to hand but this concert is mentioned in Keith-Falconer's book. He recalls four plays, one by the officers, another by the sergeants, the third by the men and the last by all ranks combined. He calls it a 'great dramatic performance'.

The attached is an advertisement for a Vaudeville event at Massey Hall in Toronto. It was published on November 26th, 1917. I've transcribed the names, and provided further information where possible. At least three of the actors have military attestations on the Canadian database (links included below).

BIG VAUDEVILLE SHOW

Tuesday Night

November 27th at Eight O'Clock.

These Well-Known Actors Will Appear.

Corp. Philip Merivale, late of Sir Herbert Tree Co.

(May be Philip Merivale, b. 1886, d. 1946. Stage actor who entered film during the silent era. Wikipedia Entry.)

Pte. Roland Bottomley, late of "Pink Lady" and "Qunk, or Girl" (big film favorite).

He is Roland Edgar Bottomley, 491049, born Sept. 9, 1878, d. 1947, formerly with the University of Toronto Training Co., born Liverpool, England. Occupation: Actor. Military attestation. The Internet Movie Database has a listing of his films here.

Sergt. Horace Sinclair, with the Shubert Management in New York.

This man is Horace Sinclair, 2365379, formerly with the University of Toronto Training Co., born Sheffield, England. Occupation: Actor. Military attestation. Internet Movie Database entry. Died 1949.

Sergt. Horace Braham, late of David Belasco Co.

Horace Henry Braham, 491033, formerly with the University of Toronto Training Co., born in London, England. Occupation: Actor. Military Attestation. Died 1955. Internet Movie Database entry.

Pte. Norman Clime (spelling of surname unclear), late of "Ziegfield Follies" and Winter Garden Co.

Pte. Sidney Dalton, composer, accompaniest.

Drum-Major Wm. Marr and Phyles Marr, Monologist.

The Hon. Mary Mack presents her famous St. Julien Musical Sextette.

Under Auspices of Great War Veterans' Assoc.

Admission, 25c and 50c.

Massey Hall (Toronto, Ontario)

post-3697-1262293371.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Kate

I have just discovered pictures of a group my Great Aunt Kathleen Cormack was in - the K Lotteries - the attached 2 photos were taken in 1918 in France. I think there are some posters or programmes somewhere at my mother's house, but finding them could be interesting! I am prepared to go digging if you don't have any info on this troupe!

My Great Aunt served in QMAAC (Worker No. 285) and in the photo of the ladies is 2nd from the right in the back row.

regards

Rosemary

post-51818-1263157325.jpg

post-51818-1263157338.jpg

Further thanks to Marika, and thanks to you too Rosemary!

The K Lotteries is a very interesting name, and a new party to me. Do you know which one is Kathleen, and what she did?

I wonder where the the band came from.

If you ever fancy going digging in your mum's house, I would be very interested to have more info, especially as I don't have many examples of women's concert parties.

Kate

Does your database hold details of the "Willies" - the concert part of C Bn HSMGC later Tank Corps in 1917

If not, will do some research on the members

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

The only members I have listed for The Willies are Eric Purdy and 2/Lt Arthur Elsbury, and possibly another man called Borwick.

The Tank Corps also had its own Orchestra; the Tank Corps Entertainers, and The Vulcans from the Tank Corps workshops, and probably other groups too.