Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ulster Tower opening footage

Desmond7

Thanks to Thants with his 50th anniversary Somme link, I've been able to browse through the Pathe site .. and come across this..

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=18364

It is the opening of the Ulster Tower!! I've not seen this footage anywhere before. It is amazing.

Get in their and search folks, lots of WW1 stuff ... Lord French at Peace Day in Belfast etc etc.

I suggest forum members key in the names of their city or regiment and see what pops up.

Des

Thanks for posting this, fascinating. I wonder who the soldier with his wife? is, at the end.

From an Ulster point of view this is gold-dust.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=29370

French takes the salute in Belfast at the peace day parade ... note the number of men on parade (guess what Divisional number!)

Plus this was the day that Cyril Fall's history of the Division was published 'for the men' with French writing the foreword.

I have found literally dozens of WW1 era snippets .. even the opening of the Thiepval Memorial itself.

As for those with an interest in the immediate pre-war 'volunteers' of either persuasion .. some great stuff in there.

Des

Do a search on Victoria Cross!

Des, thanks for yet another wonderful link to history.

Amazing it certainly is.

Susan.

If you click on Des' link above, once it opens up if you scroll down the page you will find a load of 'Related Links' to other film footage such as: 'Battle of the Marne' (1920) - click on that link, scroll down and more links such as: 'In Compiengne Forest - The Fallen Eagle' (1922) , and so it goes for each link you click on.

Some very good material here.

Thaks for posting it Des.

As others have found out, I maybe should have titled this thread a little differently .. but you know my 'thing'!

Fact is, there is a TREASURE trove of WW1 and pre and post WW1 stuff for people here. Hats off to British Pathe.

Des

Many thanks for this Des.

Happy Christmas to all in Ballymena Hi!

Wonderful site, many thanks for pointing it out Des & to Thants for discovering it in the first place. Advanced searches on 'tanks', 'Zeppelin', etc, etc with a restricted date range come up with some great footage.

NigelS

Thanks for bringing the site to our attention.

A wealth of footage.

I found a film of the French Chasseurs d'Afrique being transported north by train in 1914, possibly the 3e Regiment which, if it was them, suffered heavy casualties at Rossignol within 3 weeks of the photo been taken.

It should be pointed out that forum member Thants can take the credit for this .. he steered me in the right direction with his original post.

Des

Thanks to both of you then ;) Spending hours on this, it's fantastic, including THIS

There is one clip of a man whose helmet has been dented by a bullet. See how tired he looks.

Also, who is the VC recipient at, 7 minutes 40 seconds?

Mike