Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

vimy ridge

keithsmith

i am trying to find out about the last movments of Privat Alfred Leonard Jeavons

from the Canadian infantry Eatern Ontareo Reg killed vimy ridge 1917 any information about the said battle please thanking you in advance Keith smith

Hi Keith:

You can check the 21st Battalion's war diary for April 1917 here. It gives good account of the battalion's participation at the Battle of Vimy Ridge.

You can check 675273 Alfred Leonard Jeavons attestation papers here.

Garth

For a general description, CBC did a short overview that you can find here

The National Archives has an excellant overview here

There is also a good description of the battle in Nicholsons History of the CEF, here

You can also check Pierre Burtons "Vimy", Norm Christie's "For King and Empire, Volume 3 The Canadians at Vimy, April 1917".

marc

Hi Keith:

Attached is a map of the Vimy sector, the 21st Battalion is circled. I did a quick check of the CEF Roll of Honour and Pte. Jeavons is officially listed as KIA.

There was a small book published in 1919 about the 21st Battalion, 21st Canadian Infantry Battalion (Eastern Ontario Regiment): Belgium - France - Germany, 1915-1919. It was printed in Aldershot, England.

Garth

post-1-1083949177.jpg

As for the books, there is also your local library. It's something my wife continually accuses me of forgetting (I'm putting up new bookcses this weekend, so she thought it was a good time to remind me ... again)

marc