Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNVR Anson Bn. War Diary extracts

greatbeanbags

Able Seaman SYDNEY RODNEY CYRIL VINCE - R/609, Anson Bn. R.N. Div., Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve was killed on 26 October 1917. He was my great uncle.

He is remembered with honour at TYNE COT MEMORIAL in Belgium:

www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=825461

www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=53300&mode=1

From National Archive Discharge Papers (his War Service Record) I found at the National Archives at Kew he was 19 years old when he was killed at a place called Varlet Farm.

Varlet Farm is located south-east of Poelcapelle, about midway between it and Passchendaele. It was taken by the Anson Battalion of the Royal Naval Division at 7.20 a.m. on the 26th of October 1917. I have a copy of the Anson Bn. War Diary for this action (see image with this post) that shows that Sub Lieut Stevenson with only 7 men remaining from his platoon captured & held Varlet Farm till their relief by the Hood Bn. If anyone wishes to see other Anson Bn. War Diary entries around this time at Ypes send me a PM with email contact & I am happy to send files.

Sydney's grave is believed to be at Poelcapelle, but one of the thousands there that are unidentified.

Today Varlet Farm is a working farm & B&B - www.varletfarm.com

post-51610-1260977718.jpg

• 8 years later...

Hello, I'm new to the forum and am interested in the Anson Diaries from Friday 26th October 1917, the is the day when my great uncle was killed, his war record says close to Albatross Farm Name Charles William Lang Rank Able Seaman Regiment Anson Bn. R.N. Div, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve Date Died Friday, 26th October 1917 Service Number R/2847.   His service record indicates that he was in other units as follows ex-281419 Private 2/1st South Notts Hussars (4 months), 2/9th Middlesex Regt. (8months) & Somerset Light Infantry (2 months) ; Transferred to RNVR for RND 18/6/17 ; Draft for BEF 9/7/17, joined Anson Bn. 30/8/17-26/10/17 DD. Any help you can give to decipher this would be much appreciated I  (Apologies I did try to message but not sure how to do this)

Have a look at this.... http://www.roll-of-honour.org.uk/v/html/vince-sydney.htm 

It's all about the Anson Bn action on 26/10/17, Varlet Farm where my great uncle was KIA.  If your great uncle was in the Anson Bn. he must have fought & died alongside mine. There is the War Diary of the day which you should be able to read & map of the battle lines with farms nearby.  I can't see an Albatross farm though. There are other interesting bits too.  My great uncle is honoured at nearby Tyne Cot on a wall panel & perhaps lies in an unnamed Anson Bn. Grave at Poelecapelle.

To send personal messages click the member photo & user name.  Try one to me & if I can find out more for you will do the same.

Enjoy your membership.  Best wishes. Clive

Your great uncle is also honoured at Tyne Cot on an Anson wall panel before the one bearing my great uncles name!  Perhaps he too lies at Poelecapelle in an unnamed Anson Grave.  Here is a link for you.

https://www.cwgc.org/search-results?term=Charles William Lang&name=Charles William Lang&fullname=Charles William Lang