Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Cheerful Sacrifice-The Battle of Arras 1917'

MichaelBully

Just finished reading this book, my first on 'Arras', thought that it was marvellous. The author managed to get a good balance between his own observations, drawing on his knowledge of the geographical area but worked in plenty of his own primary source material which was well foot-noted. Plenty of maps and contemporary cartoons and a selection of photos. Also aimed at just the right pitch for me personally as I have only just started reading up on the battle. Interested to know what other people think about this book, especially people who have a special interest in Arras . Also as the book is some twenty years old, have more books now appeared on this topic? Would be pleased to read your comments. Thanks

Michael,

This review is on my website and I think was posted here some time ago. I think you will find the book discussed in depth previously.

Regards

Arm

---------------

‘Cheerful Sacrifice’

by Jonathan Nicholls ISBN 1-84415-326-6

254 pages Published by Pen and Sword

In a year that will see the 90th anniversary of 3rd Ypres, more commonly but incorrectly known as the battle of Passchendeale, many will bypass the less popular actions fought in what was the battle of Arras. Nicholls’s book brings to life the smaller battles and in particular the opening day, the 9th of April 1917, which taking many of the lessons learnt the hard way on the fields of the Somme the previous year helped General Sir Edmund Allenby’s third army achieve many success on that Easter Monday morning. Unfortunately the gains were not built upon and the battle of Arras became another wasted opportunity, though another building block in the education of the BEF. Perhaps though the most famous achievement in this battle was the success of the Canadian corps part of General Horne’s First army and their attack on Vimy Ridge.

Jonathan Nichols covers all this and expertly weaves a story that is aided by interviews and accounts of the soldiers that were there. The book published in 1990 but researched in the eighties has the advantage of being collated from research and interviews conducted by himself, rather than pulled from others. It is clear that the author heard rather than read the words of his sources and he brings this feeling across in his narrative well. Yet given the age of this book, whilst it still holds up as a classic account, this alone shows that this battle needs further coverage.

A battle I knew little about I feel that such actions and places as ‘The Chemical works‘, a vast warren of out-houses and tunnels linking a small ‘fortress’ area together has come alive to me. The poor soldiers who attacked again and again in fruitless attempts to take a position that was so heavily defended remains in my mind.

It is little known that on a day by day casualty account the losses exceeded any other battle of the Great War and for that alone it surely has to be put into perspective with the battles at Ypres a little later and of course the Somme the previous year. The British attacks were part of a supporting role by the BEF in conjunction with the French army under its new leader General Nivelle and subsequently the breaking of the moral of that army shattered by fruitless attacks.

The book is illustrated with some pencil drawings, photographs and ample clear maps that help the reader navigate the narrative and give the battle a clearer image. Hard to find in hardback a reprint in soft cover is available from various sources, Tom Morgan books and Amazon are but two.

Looking forward to getting this, seems to be 'the' book to get on Arras. Is there much mention of the Tank actions in it?

It is a very good book if you want an overview of the battle. Not 'the' book though, IMHO. The British Official History gives far more details from the British perspective. Important to read Jack's book too, on the German Army at Vimy Ridge. Also Wynne's book 'If Germany Attacks...' if you want a more complete view.

Robert

As other posters say, the book gives a good overall impression and is well written, but it is not a detailed account and misses out numerous significant actions.

I am sure the mods will delete this if they see it as unsuitable self promotion but as I have seen a good few examples of this practice recently by long-standing members I thought that, in response to questions posed on this thread, I would mention the forthcoming publication in June of a new book on the Battle of Arras by Peter Barton and I – details can be found here & on attached cover:

http://www.constablerobinson.com/?section=...294212_hardback

As for comments on Cheerful Sacrifice, I know Jon Nicholls and can’t think of anyone alive who knows more about the fighting at Arras than him. One must remember that the book was written 20 years ago and would have had certain editorial restrictions (including word count amongst others) placed upon it by the publishers. I always enjoy reading his book and whilst I acknowledge there are some areas that are not covered in as much depth as the reader would want, the book is still a very good read. He is also great fun to visit the Arras battlefields with.

As for comments that certain battalions never got a mention, I must say that it is virtually impossible to mention every battalion that took part in the battle. Try reading the OH and you’ll find this also – attacks that have particular reference to you as a reader (perhaps due to a relative having taken part) are mentioned in passing or may say something like “….good work was done by the XXXXX Brigade…” As descendants of men who took part in that attack it appears scant description of an event that had such significance on our relative’s war and their subsequent life. However, it is just a necessary fact of compiling a readable history of a confusing, multi-level attack during a large set-piece battle. BTW Tom, you’ll be pleased to know that the 6th Dorsets do get a mention in our forthcoming book!

We had to cut 40,000 words from the Arras volume at the publisher’s request. Whilst there was undoubtedly material cut that will be much missed, a concentration of the mind on the editing process does make for a ‘tighter’ read overall.

post-16428-1260877913.jpg

Looking forward to it Jeremy - is there a release date?

Thanks Paul. Release date is 24 June. We tried to get April but missed the printing window so June it is!

Looking forward to getting this, seems to be 'the' book to get on Arras. Is there much mention of the Tank actions in it?

If you want some particular detail on tanks from these battles I have quite a bit of information which I have not processed yet but I have the source material that I could look through for you (contemporary reports from the various actions etc.)

Jim

Jeremy

Also, as you are aware, eagerly anticipating the first worthwhile study of the battles since Nicholls. Will be a summer treat - I like the cover by the way. Do you get to do that or do the publishers just create one for you?

Jim

Peter suggested and sent in a few photos to Constables for the cover and they chose this (much to our delight as it was our favourite too!)

I knew the theme would be coloured blue as the Somme volume was red and Passchendaele green.

Thanks for all your responses guys. I read 'Cheerful Sacrifice' as someone who is new to really studying the battle of Arras in any depth, and felt that I learnt a great deal and was encouraged to read more. I was curious to know how people who have studied the subject in more detail than I have done, have found the book.

I have to declare an interest, I am trying to find out what part the 9th King's Royal Rifle Corps played in the battle. If anyone has any information, would be pleased to hear more.

I am sure the mods will delete this if they see it as unsuitable self promotion

Why not? Like many members, I'm always keen to know when new books (preferably good ones) are due, so who better to do it than the joint author?

Gives me a chance to set next year's book budget!

I am sure the mods will delete this if they see it as unsuitable self promotion

In my opinion, if the book was already for sale, we'd be falling foul of the advertising rules - but it's not out till June. Looking forward to it, Jeremy

Alan

In my opinion, if the book was already for sale, we'd be falling foul of the advertising rules - but it's not out till June. Looking forward to it, Jeremy

Alan

Jeremy, will also treat myself to a copy of your book. Looks impressive, and I want to learn more about Arras. Wishing you much success with its publication.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Had some time in France so had the chance to access my copies of Somme and Passchendaele. Looking through these excellent books I now cannot wait for the Arras edition. I am sure it is the same excellent standard and as such a welcome addition to all collections with an interest in the G.W.

Jim

This was the neglected battle as far as books go and that was a particular loss to those interested in Scots regiments. I look forward to reading this one in the Summer.