Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for Lieutenant-Colonel Moorhouse, DSO., RA.,

michaeldr

Looking for Lieutenant-Colonel Morshead, DSO., RA., of the West African Forces

Blumberg's history of the RM in the Great War puts this chap i/c the Ansons at Helles, during the Gallipoli landings

We have tried to identify him via his DSO  and Dick Flory has tried through his extensive RA archive, but so far without any luck

One last avenue – Blumberg's ref to Morshead being 'of the West African Forces'

Has anyone come across Morshead in this theatre, possible pre-war?

Thanks for your interest

Michael

Hi Michael

Got your message will look and get back to you asap

Regards Doug

Michael: According to Douglas Jerrold, The Royal Naval Division the officer's name is Lt. Col. Moorhouse, DSO. The only RA officer who fills the criteria is Lt. Col. Harry Claude Moorhouse, DSO, RA but I have been unable to find evidence yet that he was at Gallipoli. Regards, Dick Flory

I think we can now say with some certainty that your man is Lt. Col. Harry Claude Moorhouse, CMG, DSO, RA. His biography in the Brighton College Register 1847 to 1922 states: "Commanded Battalion of Royal Naval Division, Gallipoli, 1915; Sulva Bay Landing (Despatches, Legion of Honour)." He was Commandant, Southern Nigeria Regiment, WAFF from 1903-1908. In 1921 he was appointed Lieutenant Governor of Nigeria. Regards, Dick Flory

Dick,

Many thanks for that

I am now kicking myself for not thinking Blumberg may have been as bad at spelling as I am

THE LONDON GAZETTE, 2 MARCH, 1915,

Royal Naval Division.

To be Temporary Lieutenant-Colonel, R.M.—

Lieutenant-Colonel H. C. Moorhouse,.

C.M.G., D.S.O.. (late Royal Artillery).

Dated 21st February, 1915.

and the next year

War Office,

24th February, 1916.

The President of the French Republic has

bestowed the decoration of the Legion of

Honour, with the approval of His Majesty the

King, on the undermentioned Officers, in recognition

of their distinguished service during

the campaign: —

Groix d'Officier

Brevet Major Harry Claude Moorhouse,

C.M.G., D.S.O., Reserve of Officers, Royal

Artillery (temporary Lieutenant-Colonel,

Royal Marines).

and after the war his RA rank was back-dated

GENERAL RESERVE OF OFFICERS.

ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY.

Maj. H. C. Moorhouse, C.M.G., D.S.O.,

to be Lt.-Col. 6th July 1915.

I have now corrected the name at the head of this thread

Edited by michaeldr

Harry Claude Moorhouse is mentioned thrice in Haywood & Clarke's The History of the Royal West African Frontier Force.

He merits an extremely interesting write-up in The VC & DSO Book Part II.

His DSO citation (London Gazette 23 February 1906) states:

In recognition of his services in command of the Onitsha Hinterland Expedition, Southern Nigeria, November 1904 to March 1905.

He retired in 1908 and joined the Nigerian Political Service. During the first year of the Great War he served as a soldier in Nigeria, gaining a Mention in Despatches and a CMG.

Presumably when the Cameroon campaign was over he looked for service in another theatre.

He was a true Servant of Empire.

Many thanks for the additional info Harry

there is a little more on his African service described here see http://www.angloboerwar.com/DSOEdVII/moorhouse_hc.htm

and his colonial service was recognized in 1925

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 3 JUNE, 1925. 3769

The KING has been graciously pleased, on

the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday, to

signify his intention of conferring the honour

of Knighthood on the following: —

DOMINIONS,. COLONIES, PROTECTORATES,

ETC.

Lieutenant-Colonel Harry Claude Moorhouse,

C.M.G., D.S.O., Lieutenant-Governor of

the Southern Provinces of Nigeria.

Hi Michael

MOORHOUSE, HARRY CLAUDE, Capt , was born 30 Jan 1872, He entered the Army, as Second Lieutenant

Royal Artillery, 4 Nov 1891.He served in Uganda 1898 (Medal); became Captain 1899. He was employed with

the West African field Force 1900,during the operations in Ashanti, and was mentioned in Despatches

(London Gazette 8 March1901). He served in Southern Nigeria from 1901-02, during the Aro Expedition, as

Chief Transport Officer; was mentioned in Despatches ( London Gazette 12 Sept 1902). and received

The Brevet of Major 17 April, 1902 (Medal with clasp). He served in the Asaba Hinterland expedition, in command

1902 (clasp). He served in Northern Nigeria in 1903, during the Kano-Sokoto Campaign, and was mentioned in

Despatches (London Gazette 31 July 1903 (clasp). He next saw active service in Southern Nigeria 1904-5,

during the Onitsha Hinterland Expedition, in command; He was mentioned in Despatches (London Gazette 23 Feb 1906)

and was ceated a Companion of the Distinqushed Service Order (London Gazette 23 Feb 1906):

" Harry Claude Moorhouse, Capt.and Brevet Major, Royal Artillery. In recognition of his services in command of the

Onitsha Hinterland Expedition, Southern Nigeria , Nov 1904, to March 1905," He retired26 Sept 1908, with the rank of

Lieutenant-Colonel, Reserve of Officers. He was Chief Assistant to the Colonial Secretary, Southern Nigeria, 1908, and

Provincial Commissioner , 1911. He served during the European War, in Nigeria, from 1914 to 1915, and was

mentioned in Despatches, and in 1914 was created a C.M.G; was made an Officer of the Legion of Honour.

Major Moorhouse has been Secretary, Southern Province, Nigeria, since 1914.

Hopes this helps a little bit more

Best regards Doug

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old , but I'm researching this chap, I have some of his papers from Gallipoli,  cant find out much about him besides his death in the same day as his son in 1917

58f0829e72730.jpeg.jpg

harry_and_ronald_moorhouse.jpg

He was, indeed, as pointed out by michaeldr at Post #1, OC of Anson Bn. RND (post-Antwerp) from December 1914 until late May 1915, at Gallipoli, when he moved across to be Brigade Major of 1st Naval Brigade for a brief period. After early June 1915 he seems to have left Gallipoli and probably reverted to Army.

I am not certain that the Harry Moorhouse in the image is the same officer. See this Wiki entry which I believe to be the correct officer Harry Claude Moorhouse as shown in the RM Medal Roll   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Moorhouse  Pre-war CMG DSO and MiD with Anson at Gallipoli. He was not killed in WW1.

NR72,

There's a great deal on the web about the second Lt-Col Moorhouse, but nothing which I have seen so far suggests that he was ever at Gallipoli. There is a quote from the Wakefield Express of 27 November 1915 reporting that Major Moorhouse had written to the widow of Pvt George Smith of 4th KOYLI who was shot and is burried at Bard Cottage Cemetery, Ypres. https://overtown.org.uk/middle-walton/war-memorial-2.html

Other links which may be of interest are

https://lorely-writingfromtheedge.blogspot.com/2011/11/challenges-of-war.html

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/90850972

March 1916 Army List https://deriv.nls.uk/dcn30/1040/9339/104093398.30.jpg

http://www.doncaster1914-18.org.uk/story/father-killed-half-an-hour-after-his-son/

regards

Michael

Good morning,

The Moorhouses (father and son) are distant relations but I didn't think Harry served in Gallipoli. Like other posters have said: I think this thread relates to a different Harry Moorhouse but NR72 says  "I have some of his papers from Gallipoli" bthenpost photos of the KOYLI Moorhouses; please could he confirm the provenance ?

281572206_MoorhouseWedding.jpg.dea6a71c3d34eac3e3d1bd6358346ebe.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Steve 

With Regard to Colonel Moorhouse I have a letter from him to Paris dated 13th May 1915 describing the landings. From that letter I can confirm he was indeed present at Gallipoli and landed at 0630 hours on 25th April as part of covering force.

This original letter is part of a wider collection of original documentation of Major Macon Saunders RM Staff Captain 2nd RN Brigade MEF 

Edited by NR72
Add information

• 1 month later...
On 04/05/2020 at 14:21, NR72 said:

With Regard to Colonel Moorhouse I have a letter from him to Paris dated 13th May 1915 describing the landings. From that letter I can confirm he was indeed present at Gallipoli and landed at 0630 hours on 25th April as part of covering force.

That being so, then your Col Moorhouse must be the RA (Temp.RM) officer identified by Dick Flory in post No.6 above 

On 12/12/2009 at 20:01, rflory said:

I think we can now say with some certainty that your man is Lt. Col. Harry Claude Moorhouse, CMG, DSO, RA. His biography in the Brighton College Register 1847 to 1922 states: "Commanded Battalion of Royal Naval Division, Gallipoli, 1915; Sulva Bay Landing (Despatches, Legion of Honour)." He was Commandant, Southern Nigeria Regiment, WAFF from 1903-1908. In 1921 he was appointed Lieutenant Governor of Nigeria.*  Regards, Dick Flory

* my emphasis

regards

Michael

• 5 months later...