Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trios that are no more

stephen p nunn

Not, not, our very own Roy Evans, he doesn't look that old!

Stephen

This is my last post on the subject, if I said what I thought it would probably be the last on the forum.

I hold 12 medals. Five of them are my grandfathers, who with his wife brought myself and my sister up. Where my fathers medals I neither know or

care.

I have another 7 medals all with my name engraved on, I earned those medals by joining the armed forces of Australia, not by being an anomymous

bidder on e-b*y or knowing the address of a medal dealer. Everyone has an opportunity to do the same thing dont'they, but it is a lot less dangerous

and easier to obtain them the other way. So you can guess as to why I am slightly PO'd off with medal collectors.

Thank you David

"So you can guess as to why I am slightly PO'd off with medal collectors"

I get it now. You have to have served in the forces to be 'worthy' of collecting medals.

Am I allowed to keep my families medals (that take pride of place in my collection) or haven't I earnt the right to this - seen as though I have never served myself ?

Maybe collecting should be banned and all medals weighed in for scrap, seen as though a lot of the families aren't interested in them. Would that be better ?

Neil

This is my last post on the subject, if I said what I thought it would probably be the last on the forum.

I hold 12 medals. Five of them are my grandfathers, who with his wife brought myself and my sister up. Where my fathers medals I neither know or

care.

I have another 7 medals all with my name engraved on, I earned those medals by joining the armed forces of Australia, not by being an anomymous

bidder on e-b*y or knowing the address of a medal dealer. Everyone has an opportunity to do the same thing dont'they, but it is a lot less dangerous

and easier to obtain them the other way. So you can guess as to why I am slightly PO'd off with medal collectors.

Thank you David

No, I can't guess why. And I can't guess why you are so intolerant with anyone who doesn't share your narrowminded view of how things should be.

Although I must say I am pleased that your sneering, insulting, intolerant attitude towards others won't appear again on this thread. Thank you for that.

On the original thought of the thread. A lot of medals were split up when after the soldier died medal groups were distributed amongst the children ie, Johny got the BWM and Mary got the VM - this was and is very common.

David, well done for serving your country and your well deserved medals. I served for 7 years in the RAR as a platoon commander and eventually Captain (never saw action despite all that damned training). I have a single ADM to my name which I'm too embarassed to wear in the same company as returned soldiers.

However I am still an avid collector. See the pic below for some of my collection which will only be sold when I cark it and my kids flog it off - to another collector no doubt. Or would you rather that when I die this collection gets thrown in the bin? The photo is a medal set from men of each of the 12 battalions of the 1st Div AIF. Of the 27 medals in the case, two are replicas to make up missing medals. Each of the 12 men I have meticulously researched. The collection is in my home and draws lots of attention and education to my visitors.

If people try to sell medals and no-one in the world has any value for them and therefore the value is $0 then they will eventually be thrown out. Have you ever thrown things out after unsuccessfully trying to sell the item - of course you have? Medals would be no different if you had your way. Lucky for the world there are a small but dedicated bunch of people who do put value on them and will buy medals to preserve our heritage.

And when you die I sincerely hope that someone in your family will collect your medals and those of your relatives and not throw them out because they don't value them. The family is the best place for them.

For the life of me I can't understand why people such as you hold people such as me in contempt.

Len

post-35120-1260658440.jpg

Everyone has an opportunity to do the same thing dont'they, but it is a lot less dangerous

Thank you David

I have worn my country's uniform for 30 years. And I collect the medals to soldiers of my own regiment to bring their stories back to my regiment.

So perhaps YOU can guess why I am "slightly PO'd" by such narrow minded sweeping condemnation of medal collectors as greedy profit mongers.

You, and anyone who cares to understand that not all collectors' motives are profit driven, can see some of the results of my collecting and research here.

I served my country for 10 years and it has absolutely no relevence to my collecting, I have not have much loyalty to my corps, RAMC. and don't collect to them. And if someone made a very decent offer for a CSM NI to an not very common corps, at one time I may well have been persuaded. I was presented with this medal shortly after a near death experience from which I was still shaking, by a Clerk throwing it me across the orderly room.

At this time I don't even know where it is and wear an unnamed copy on remembrance day. But I have medals to men who I have never known that I will keep forever.

What a powder keg this has become i collect gallantry medals ,to ensure that the memory of these brave men is never forgotten ,I am but a temporary owner of them and love each and every group for the sacrifice he man made to making the world free for us. the money on resale is a secondary importance .I am not making any money as such in fact after most sales for whatever reason i am lucky to get what i bought them for even after quite a few years .I research many ,many hours and this is what i mean by the memory is kept alive

MC

Len,

I don't hold anyone in contempt, far from it, if thats your hobby go for it. We all have hobbies that other people feel rather strange but

continue on with it, hard words or not. I have had quite a few near insulting words during this thread, however it's like water off a ducks,

back, but at least the air has been cleared on what we like and don't like. I will continue posting on this forum, if what I say hurts some, well so

be it but thats 'what I feel. No doubt there are things that I do will also be odd to some people but we are all different.

Cheers David

I don't hold anyone in contempt.

Not the take i get on it.

bidder on e-b*y or knowing the address of a medal dealer.

I'm an anomymous bidder on Ebay, don't buy usually from medal dealers though. There is a vast difference from earning medals to collecting medals. As collectors, hopefully, we don't collect them to pass them off as our own. Be a hard job for me wearing a 1915 Star or a Burma Star when i'm 25!

Perhaps you should say what you think. Your stance has provoked alot of response and well....... I'm left slighty confused by your stance.

Neil

Maybe joining the Australian armed forces is a cheaper way to acquire the medals? Although I don't think recent Australian medals demand a premium.

I served my adoptive country (The Republic of Ireland) in the Irish Army for over 21 years 174 days.

As did my twin brother.

I have 3 issued medals including a U.N. one for service in U.N.I.F.I.L.

(so has my twin brother).

Not bad for two kids from Nottingham if I dare say so myself.

My medal collecting started when I lived in Germany 1997 - 2003

I collect Military Medals of Europe circa 1813 - Post 1945.

Why, because its a great way to learn about military history,

and with the British Medals to learn about the soldiers who served, fought, died in the service of the country.

I am sorry that other countries did not adapt the British method of naming their medals.

Its neither against the law to collect such items or be in the possession of them.

While Dave has is right to an opinion, he has no right to condemn what people do for a hobby.

Its not like we are collecting them to wear is it. :rolleyes:

Of course such actions would be unthinkable in Australia wouldn't they?

http://www.anzmi.net/index.html

(The fact that Dave states he has not got his Father's service medals, for whatever reasons, is of little matter, that's his choice, to make, but hopefully they reside safe and sound in some home.

Connaught Stranger.

This is getting way off topic, but as a 'Medal Collector' here is my point.

I have 121 medals - five of which are my Great, Great Uncle's - see signature. 109 I have collected over the last 12 years, both WW1 and WW2 singles, pairs and groups.

I also have seven of my own, five of which have my name and either regimental or PMKey's number engraved. I am a serving member of the Australian Defence Force.

As for the trio's that are no more, I have one of those and I'm sure I've mentioned him on the forum before. The trio includes a 1914 Star with Bar, British War Medal and Victory Medal. They were awarded to the next of kin of L/6589 Private Frederick William Sansom. The young man served with the 4th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment, entering France on 14 August 1914. Frederick was killed in combat on the opening day of the battle of Mons, 23 August 1914. and was buried by the Germans in St. Symphorien Military Cemetery, Belgium.

How is this a 'trio no more'? The BWM is erased. I would say the family may have sold it for it's value in silver and someone at a later date has found a gap filler. Oh, by the way they, I didn't buy them, they were given to me by my late father-in-law before he died. I also purchased a genuine bar for the 1914 Star as he was entitled to it.

As a collector I purchase these little pieces of history as I know they are coming to a better place then where they were. There are quite a few of us who wear the uniform and also collect the medals.

Cheers Andy.

I seem to have caused a bit of a stir with my original (genuinely innocent) posting. It has been an interesting debate 'though and it's a good job we are all mates and can be so frank about things. Thanks for all the contributions and may I wish all (medal collectors and non-medal collectors alike) Seasons Greetings!

[by the way some fantastic collections mentioned and illustrated in the thread].

Best wishes.

SPN

Maldon

That you have, there does seem to be a lot of passion about medals in general.. good or bad anyway its been an interesting read from start to finish

great post

MC

I have my g'father's trio. I don't collect Medals but I do collect other things. What's the difference between Collecting Medals to say, Wedgwood Pottery or Toy Trains?

In a word; Nothing,they are perceived to be emotive though....

Thanks Sue, my pleasure.

It is a very emotive story and one that should be told- his sacrifice should be remembered

Two similar pieces of Wedgwood pottery or model trains are indistinguishable. Two similar medals to Commonwealth soldiers of the Great War are identifiable to the soldiers who received them by the impressed naming, and thus have a historical connection that any member of this Forum should be able to appreciate.

To denigrate anyone for valuing something enough to collect it, whether that be pottery or medals, is, however, equally insulting.

I'll chuck my twopence worth in here! I've opened a thread in the past condemning the wealthy VC collector (I can't even get around to type his name), and I still hold the view that such monsterously high prices for VCs is reprehensible. I have changed my opinion though on medal collecting by fellow Forum members. Your sincere care for the individual soldiers' lives attached to those medals make it no different to those who collect postcards, documents and other tangiable original period material. I have been given two French medals; and I wouldn't get rid of them at all; and in fact they spurred me on to research the fellow's life. Now if my local bric a brac shop came up with a single, a pair or trio belonging to a townsman from 4th RWF, I would probably buy it. Not as a 'collector'; but as it would be a valuable historical artefact to my field of interest. I can easily imagine that such are the concerns of most collectors.

... I have changed my opinion though on medal collecting by fellow Forum members. Your sincere care for the individual soldiers' lives attached to those medals make it no different to those who collect postcards, documents and other tangiable original period material. I have been given two French medals; and I wouldn't get rid of them at all; and in fact they spurred me on to research the fellow's life. Now if my local bric a brac shop came up with a single, a pair or trio belonging to a townsman from 4th RWF, I would probably buy it. Not as a 'collector'; but as it would be a valuable historical artefact to my field of interest. I can easily imagine that such are the concerns of most collectors.

Aha!

That's exactly how I started. I never made the conscious decison to start "collecting". I was just fascinated with the Great War and one day many years ago I saw some medals for sale and was absolutely mesmerized by finding out the the history behind them. A man who had fought in Great War owned these medals -whether he hated those medals or loved those medals, they were a very personal tangible link to days gone by. I thought "who was this man, what did he see, how did he feel, what happened to him after the war, did he have a happy life in the end, why are his medals for sale...?" Then I bought some more and ...... my god then I became a hopelessly addicted collector.

Other collectors will know exactly what I mean. There is a wonderful comaradie and sharing of information amongst us. For those that like this stuff the British Medals Forum is excellent.

Len

I've opened a thread in the past condemning the wealthy VC collector (I can't even get around to type his name), and I still hold the view that such monsterously high prices for VCs is reprehensible.

At one time I would agreed with you. No more. The Lord has more money than he knows what to do with. He collects VCs and can afford it. Firstly, following the chain back there can be no doubt that everyone through whose hands they have passed have made money and right back to the VC winner in some cases. The ownership of VCs are out of the hands of almost all of us due to cost. But they are preserved and being made available to view to the general public. Is this any different to the VCs being in a military museum where exactly the same would happen? It can only be envy that most of us will have because we cannot ever own one. If the cost is high then that is because the underbidder at auction makes it so. But the value is a different matter and is only measurable in the courage and sacrifice of the VC winner. Finally, in a century or so, these medals will be either dispersed for purchase by collectors or military museums or presented to the nation. Let the noble Lord enjoy his collection and (ego trip) for time will level everything out.