Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Bayonet Enquiry

GRANVILLE

Can anyone provide information concerning the various marks on either side of this particular bayonet?

Dave Upton

ww1equipment022.th.jpg

ww1equipment024.th.jpg

'07 is Pattern 1907 Bayonet

4 '18 issued April 1918

'19 re-issued 1919

A5 over E is RSAF Enfield inspector's stamp

On the reverse,

X means it passed the bend test

24 (?) re-issue in 1924?

Other marks are RSAF inspection stamps.

I think that is about it, but Bootnecks will give you any other information I am sure.

Seph?

Regards

TonyE

Thank you TonyE.... your spot on!

Hello Dave,

Just to confirm the information that TonyE has passed to you, the markings on your bayonet are all standard stuff, nothing much out of the ordinary. Let me deal with the left ricasso first = cuttung edge to the left.

1) T 'A' and 'E' of the inspectors stamp are double stamped. This would have occured with an over-zealous double tap of the stamping hammer

2) There appears to be no manufacturers name. This is very unusual in extreme circomstances, but the manufacturer : Sanderson, did use several sizes of stamping, and was notorious for half, light, and only patial stampings. I can make a very faint 'O' in the vacinity of the '19' re-issued date, so would surmise that Sanderson will be the manufacturer.

Seph

post-18081-1260408923.jpg

... and now the right ricasso.

Alls normal here!

Seph :D

post-18081-1260410279.jpg

Sorry for the slow response chaps. Absolutely marvelous replies. Informative, accurate and superbly illustrated. Credit to the Forum. Very many thanks.

Dave Upton

Anytime Dave.... more than happy to be of assistance!

Seph :D

No directly concerned with this - is there a website or catalogue either within GWF or somewhere else where you can have a general veiw of equipement etc either as issued or recovered from the battlefield?

H

No directly concerned with this - is there a website or catalogue either within GWF or somewhere else where you can have a general veiw of equipement etc either as issued or recovered from the battlefield?

H

Not sure 'H'. Maybe putting that question to one of the mederators will bring up something!

Seph