Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Mk V in Berlin 1945

Heid the Ba

I may be imagining it but isn't that a white 4 in a black square on the side of the tank? If so then its one of the American 301st's and probably one of the ones shipped back to the US in early 1919 displayed alongside captured guns.

Though a bit new to all of this I have had a general interest in WW1 for quite some time. I remember seeing that picture somewhere a while ago and IIRC the caption stated it was a park in Washington DC around 1920 where equipment used by all sides was displayed to satisfy the curiosity of a very inquisitive public.

I will try and track down where I saw that photo. If I am not mistaken it could have been part of the National Archives WW1 Photographic collection.

Hi - I've been away and just caught up with these posts. Thanks for the views on the photo I posted. It would be great to get to the bottom of this. Centurion - is it possible for you to post your enhanced image, please?

Thanks all.

Here's another view of the Berliner Dom in May 1945, with the MkV tanks which were on display in the Lustgarten.

berliner_dom_may_1945_155.jpg

Heres a thought. I wonder what happened to the tanks that were bought here to the US after the end of the war? I am not saying I am completely right about that photo but I do remember reading a caption stating that it was Washington DC. However I am always prepared to accept the fact that I could be wrong or someone albeit well intentioned may have mislabelled that pic.Add to that it was a few years ago. Who knows?

But it does lead to an interesting question. What happened to the tanks that were bought back here after the war? It just has my interest piqued so to say. I think I will e mail the national WW1 Museum here and see what they say if anything.

There was an organisation that surfaced about a year ago that was creating a history of the 301st. They posted on the web a list of the documents and photos so far collected (but not the actual photos and documents - grrrrh). They then sank like a soft metal aerostat. The list did suggest that the 301st had about 6 tanks of Mk V and V* model which had been shipped back to the US. One of these appears to have ended up in the Patton museum but as for the others who knows. In addition there were a number of Mk IVs and a Mk V (male) shipped directly to the USA. One of the Mk IVs is at Aberdeen pretending to be the original Britannia touring tank (which it isn't as it has no cab roof hatch but Aberdeen don't want to know!). The original Britannia ended up at the tank school and was there in 1919

But it does lead to an interesting question. What happened to the tanks that were bought back here after the war? It just has my interest piqued so to say. I think I will e mail the national WW1 Museum here and see what they say if anything.

One of the cable channels was showing Pathe Newsreels -1940 this evening which included this footage Click showing a grave yard of American 'WW1 tanks' said to being sold to Canada to be used for training purposes. I'll leave it to the experts to determine the version and whether any of them may (unlikely?) or may not have been around to have actually seen WWI service - regardless of that, hope it's of interest.

NigelS

They are post war tanks. Some or all of them may even be of American build. They look a lot like Mk VI's but they never went into production in the UK. Perhaps someone can confirm production in the US.

The tanks in the film are Mk VIII's. Only 7 of them were completed in the UK. A further 100 were shipped to the US in 1918 for the instalation of the engine and transmission, but with the end of the war they were no longer required.

The British ones had a Ricardo 300hp engine, the American tanks had a 300hp Liberty engine.