Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Yorkshire Regiment, 7th Battalion

crayolakid

Could anyone tell me where the 7th Battalion EYR were in action on 23rd March 1918. This was the date my great uncle was killed; he is now burried at Dernancourt Cemetary.

Are there any good books detailing this battalion and regiment.

Many thanks,

James

Hi

Thanks for the prompt replies. The details I have are:

Name: Charles Harold Haywood

Service Number: 37071

Birthplace: Derby

Age/Year of Birth: 19

Enlisted: Derby

Battalion: 7th Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment

Thanks

James

Hi there Charles your postbox is full.

Cheers Roger.

James,

Charles Died of Wounds on the 23 March 1918 at DERNANCOURT, so most likely wounded on the 21st or 22nd the Battalion occupied 'Gong Trench' and 'Maxwell Avenue'.

Regards Charles

Charles have you any info on 28399 Pte James H Tattersall KIA 24th April 1918 with 7 EYR?

I know his CSM was named Crawshaw and he was 12 Platoon.

Thanks

Ady

Andy,

24th April 1917

The Battalion was ordered up to the Front to Hold the line after a failed attack by the 6th Dorsets and 10th West Yorks, C Company held the Center. They were in 'Bayonet Trench' 51b. NW4. H. 30.d. 36.b.d. I. 25 a.c., at 1120 am B Coy made a bombing attack up Bayonet Trench towards Rifle Trench.

Regards Charles

• 2 months later...
Could anyone tell me where the 7th Battalion EYR were in action on 23rd March 1918. This was the date my great uncle was killed; he is now burried at Dernancourt Cemetary.

James

James

A while ago, (only just spotted this query) I scanned a series of articles, five pages in total titled "With the 7th Battalion 1918" that were printed in "The Snapper", the EYR journal in 1919 and they do cover the period your great uncle was killed. and the period before so that you can see events and movements leading up to that day. They cover Jan-beginning of April 1918

If you send me your e-mail address in a PM I'll send them to you

Caryl

Archived