Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward the Sailor

centurion

I find the following written of the POW in October 1914  - he "was with difficulty dissuaded from from going into active service with the Navy". Is this true? If so why was he dissuaded? Was it because he already had a brother in the RN?

He might have had a better war with the Navy and there would have been less risk of him being captured which seems to have been a concern.

I suppose it was to protect the succession if the King had snuffed it. Bit hard on the POW as no doubt he wanted to"do his bit"

David

From his autobiography 'A King's Story'

"By June, 1914, it was agreed that I had had enough of Oxford. Instead of returning to Magdalen for the following Christmas term I persuaded my parents to let me travel for the balance of the year before I should join the 2nd Battalion of the Grenadier Guards the following January. In fact my army career had already begun in the Oxford Battalion of the Officers' Training Corps. I had reached the rank of corporal and had to my credit two summer camps under canvas at Aldershot."

And later that summer

"On August 6th… … … 'Then asked [my father] for a commission in the Grenadiers stating that I could no longer tolerate being unable to serve my country. And dear Papa never hesitated for a moment & immediately instructed Ld. Stamfordam to notify this to the War Office… …It was a happy moment for me, & now I am an officer in the army & am going into active service!! … …'"

No mention of the Navy in October as far as I can see, but

"Eventually, on November 16, 1914 I was sent overseas and attached to the staff of Field Marshal Sir John French,…"

From this it seems that the army was always the plan, and not service in the navy.

He was, of course, prepared for a career in the Navy by virtue of four years' naval education at Osborne and Dartmouth, but, as Michael says, there is no suggestion in his autobiography that joining the Navy was ever a possibility after he left Oxford.

Presumably his commission was gazetted and he appears in the Army List. Such sources are preferable to many internet pages.

Michael,

It is in connection with poor sourcing of information and not following up in reliable primary documentation. As you demonstrated there are such sources readily available. I mentioned some others that could be checked and there are more: such the Prince of Wales' Medal Index Card, which I recall has been posted to this forum. It shows that he qualified for the 1914 Star. Such information contradicts the statement that in October 1914 - he "was with difficulty dissuaded from from going into active service with the Navy". Because in November 1914 he was not only on active service with the Army, but already in a war zone.

Edited by per ardua per mare per terram

Michael,

It is in connection with poor sourcing of information and not following up in reliable primary documentation. As you demonstrated there are such sources readily available. I mentioned some others that could be checked and there are more: such the Prince of Wales' Medal Index Card, which I recall has been posted to this forum. It shows that he qualified for the 1914 Star. Such information contradicts the statement that in October 1914 - he "was with difficulty dissuaded from from going into active service with the Navy". Because in November 1914 he was not only on active service with the Army, but already in a war zone.

Proves nothing - the work I was quoting was published in about September 1914 and the quote continues " and has found consolation in joining the first Grenadier Guards"

Proves nothing - the work I was quoting was published in about September 1914 and the quote continues " and has found consolation in joining the first Grenadier Guards"

If it was printed in September 1914, how can it refer to events in October 1914? Hope someone buys you a calendar for Christmas.