Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC rear of card entry

wulsten

What does the last bit read - looks to me like 'disposal of by sale'?

Barrie

Does the entry on this MIC indicate that the medals were disposed of by breaking up or does it mean disposed of to family ?

Looks like Officer IC London Regiment requests instructions for disposal of medals. So unclaimed perhaps??

SPN

Maldon

Looks like Officer IC London Regiment requests instructions for disposal of medals. So unclaimed perhaps??

SPN

Maldon

So would these medals be broken up as the method of disposal etc

As the date is only 1920 I think it refers to the method of Disposal as in "where are they to be sent" there may not have been an issuing Address?

I dont think medals were instructed to be "Broken Up" until some years later,when chance of claiming was scant...

Thanks for the info, i thought it was unusual to see this type of comment on the back of an OR mic, so wondered if the medals had ever been issued to the family of the soldier who was kia in 1916

Looks like Officer IC London Regiment

Just a minor point but it's London Records (Recs), that Record Office covered Royal Fusiliers, London Regiment, Royal Defence Corps and Honourable Artillery Company.

Regards

Steve

Wulsten

I think it more likely that the family didn't want the medals,as it seems there was a system to send them to the entitled or his next of kin,addresses were recorded for the purpose of any communication required from attestation and subsequent need.

You don't say whether this was an OR or an Officer.

It would be interesting to see what the original Medal Roll says.

Sotonmate

Wulsten

WO329/798 should have the original Medal Roll.

Sotonmate