Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Batt Devonshire Regiment

jainvince

Pte W E Marsden was killed in action on 9th May 1917 aged 44 years. I understand that his Batt were involved in the Third Battle of the Scarpe during 3-4 May 1917, including the capture of Fresnoy but where did they go after that? Our soldier has no known grave but is remembered on the Arras Memorial.

Have searched the site but no details were found so would be pleased for any guidance.

Bernard P

Hi Bernard

About 10th May the remnants of the Battalion moved back to Roclincourt and spent a month out of the trenches, only returning on 14th June to the left of XIII Corps in the Oppy Arleux sector

Best wishes

Martin

Bernard

War Diary WO95/1579 from Jan to Nov 1917 is digital and downloadable from the National Archives Catalogue for 3.50. You can read the battle in detail.

Sotonmate

Pte W E Marsden was killed in action on 9th May 1917 aged 44 years. I understand that his Batt were involved in the Third Battle of the Scarpe during 3-4 May 1917, including the capture of Fresnoy but where did they go after that? Our soldier has no known grave but is remembered on the Arras Memorial.

Have searched the site but no details were found so would be pleased for any guidance.

Bernard P

Fresnoy was captured on 3 May but then was lost again to German counter attack on 8 May. The best précis of the importance of the loss is given in the Official History:

The loss of Fresnoy was perhaps the most serious the British had suffered in any German counter-offensive of the battle, from the moral as well as from the material point of view. It was also one of the comparatively rare instances of a position captured by the British and held for more than three days being lost to a counter-attack.

The German counter-attack broke through the line, smashing the 12th Glosters (Bristol’s Own) and the right of the 19th Bn CEF. 1st East Surreys were holding the village of Fresnoy but were forced to evacuate and pulled back to the east of Arleux. It is likely that Pte Marsden was killed in the counter-attack that was launched by 1st Devons at 2.30am on 9 May – the result was a bloody failure. I have more detail and a terrific description of the attack by one of the battalion. PM me if you are interested in this. Also, if you can get your hand on a copy then read up on pp.520-522 of the Official History.

Cheers

Jeremy

• 8 years later...
On 10/12/2009 at 16:16, J Banning said:

Fresnoy was captured on 3 May but then was lost again to German counter attack on 8 May. The best précis of the importance of the loss is given in the Official History:

The loss of Fresnoy was perhaps the most serious the British had suffered in any German counter-offensive of the battle, from the moral as well as from the material point of view. It was also one of the comparatively rare instances of a position captured by the British and held for more than three days being lost to a counter-attack.

The German counter-attack broke through the line, smashing the 12th Glosters (Bristol’s Own) and the right of the 19th Bn CEF. 1st East Surreys were holding the village of Fresnoy but were forced to evacuate and pulled back to the east of Arleux. It is likely that Pte Marsden was killed in the counter-attack that was launched by 1st Devons at 2.30am on 9 May – the result was a bloody failure. I have more detail and a terrific description of the attack by one of the battalion. PM me if you are interested in this. Also, if you can get your hand on a copy then read up on pp.520-522 of the Official History.

Cheers

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

Sorry to piggy back onto this but my great grandfather was in the 1st Devons and injured in the battle on 9 May. I'd be very grateful if you were able to share the description of the attack by one of the battalion that you refer to please?

Rich

• Admin

Hello Rich and welcome. One you have made two posts you can send a private message to Jeremy asking him to send you the description.

Michelle