Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Airline Section R.E.

Conor Dodd

Can anyone tell me anymore about this section I bought a group to 76269 2 Cpl. B. Borrell who is on CWGC and SDGW as being part of this section can anyone tell me anymore ?

Conor

There was an Aeroplane Section RE but this formed the nucleus of the RFC when the latter was formed in May 1912. You might need Terry Reeves to explain this one but could it be part of the Balloon defences?

Connor

Airline Sections were responsible for comms cable above ground ('in the air') i.e. carried on poles rather than on the surface or buried. Sure that somebody can give you better description.

Jock

An Airline Section was a group of signallers that installed and maintained "Airlines" ie telephone lines that were attached to poles (in the air as opposed to being buried).

Cheers.

John.

Looks like Jock beat me to it, I have a picture of W19 Motor Air Line Section.

post-8-1083794592.jpg

An airline section was responsible for the erection of telephone and telegraph lines on poles - hence airline. They mainly operated in rear areas although they could continue working as far forward as brigade headquarters. Early in the war supplies of poles, which were originally painted black and white, ran short, and the sections resorted to attaching lines to trees, and houses ect. This informal method of construction led to the term "comic airline " becoming part of the army vocabulary, simply because it looked comical to the signals sections.

The composition of an airline section changed as the war went on, but in 1918 consisted of 1 x Subaltern, 1 x Sgt, 2 x Cpl's, 2 x 2nd Cpl's, 29 x Sappers and Pioneers, 7 x ASC MT drivers. Of the Sappers and Pioneers, 14 were permanent linesmen and 14 were wiremen.

Terry Reeves