Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

23rd Royal Fusiliers

wulsten

Checking on a chap killed on the 10th February 1916, does anyone have any info on the battalion whereabouts at this time, checked the online history but not much info, anything appreciated, Geoff

Checking on a chap killed on the 10th February 1916, does anyone have any info on the battalion whereabouts at this time, checked the online history but not much info, anything appreciated, Geoff

Hi

The history considers February 1916 to have been a "quiet month" The Division was in GHQ reserve and snow lay deep on the ground. The 23rd Battalion "marched here and there about the Loos countryside, did an odd job or two, and put in 5 days training in conjuction with the 24th Battalion at Erny St Julien"

Not a lot I'm afraid

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated, ive also got this of the internet which gives some idea of locations etc, but im wondering if there is anything with a bit more detail such as war diary entries around the 10th Feb 1916

believe downloadable so will have a look wo95/1372

Le Quesnoy was the next move, made on February 3, and relieving the 1st Royal Berks on February 7, the Battalion was in turn moved out of the trenches into the village line Givenchy on the 11th, remaining there until the 15th, when it again relieved the 1st Royal Berks in B3 sub-sector Givenchy.

Wulsten,

What's his name please?

I don't have a record of anybody dying in the battalion in the month of February 1916, and Geoff's tool isn't showing anybody either for that date (only one man each from 1/15th, 1/18th and 1/7th), so I definitely like to know who this is as I've possibly missed someone.

As to the diary, go here. No mention of a casualty or fatality on the 10th but perhaps he's the wounded man on the 6th succumbing on the 10th?

Best regards,

Matthew

from the diary of Lcp Joseph Willocks - a signallers with 'A' company 23rd RF - there appears to have been shelling by the Germans

Saturday 5th February

Flag drill in morning. At 11 am I was sent to BETHUNE to draw stores. Went to Divisional

Signal School and then returned to billet at 1.45 pm. Letter from Florrie. Saw German aeroplane.

Sunday 6th February

Church parade for Church of England. Divisional General inspected men over 40. Went for walk with Fogerty and en route saw armoured train.

Monday 7th February

At 10 am cycled with Battalion to HQ trenches at GIVENCHY. The Battalion came in the afternoon. All quiet.

Tuesday 8th February

Out on lines – occasional shelling. Morris wounded.

Wednesday 9th February

Germans blew a mine which went up in their own front line trenches. No casualties in our own lines.

Thursday 10th February

We had rather heavy casualties chiefly (Shorthand note) Narrow escape while out on line with Burmingham. Shrapnel and High Explosives. Got back safely.

Friday 11th February

In afternoon we exploded a mine and inflicted heavy casualties on Huns, our bombers worked hard and well. Relieved by Berkshire's and went to village line in Givenchy.

Hi Wulsten.

The 24th Bn R/Fusiliers were at Le-Touret on the 8th Feb through till 11th Feb.

For the 10th it states Stand to 6-7am. Working parties in the evening. Pte D,Lee was wounded in the thigh by a spent bullet whilst on a carrying party. Weather fair, some showers.

Hope this helps no mention about the 23rd Bn R/Fusiliers.

Best Regards Andy.

Extract from War Diary 23 Bn Royal Fusiliers

1st February 1916 Bethune - Parades under Company arrangementa. Inspection of A Coy by C.O.

2nd February Bethune - Parades under Company arrangements

3rd February Bethune and Le Quusnoy = Battalion moved to Le Quesnoy

4th February Le Quesnoy - Parades under Company arrangements

5th February Le Quesnoy - Parades under Company arrangements. D.C.M. awarded to 3592 Pte Harold Kirk for Conspicious Bravery in the field on 26th January 1916.

6th February Le Quesnoy - Divine Service Parades.

7th February Le Quesnoy and Givenchy - Battalion relieved 1st Royal Berks in Sub-section B3 Givenchy

8th February Givenchy- Battalion held Sub-section B3 Line

9th February Givenchy - Battalion held Sub-section B3 Line

10th February Givenchy - Battalion held Sub-section B3 Line

11th February - Battalion moved out of the trenches into village line Givenchy

John

Andy/Phil, thanks for the replies as you can from the war diary entries, it appears that L/Cpl J Willocks was more accurate with his recording, many thanks Geoff