Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

gt grandfather's service records

snice

hi, don't know if i'm posting this in the right place, but i'm trying to track down my great grandfather Charles Ernest Terry, service records as i would love to where he was during his service.

I know he joined the army before the war and served with both the Essex Regiment and the Middlesex Regiment, and contined to serve into the 1920's eventually reaching the rank of RSM. But i have no idea where to start looking.

Essex Regiment 31151

Middlesex Regiment L/21543

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Sarah

Hi and welcome to the forum here is his medal index card to start with

MC will have a look for his service record

post-50787-1260154527.jpg

looks like he had two MIC cards this is the other with the reference to the other card on the top of both

The theatre of war is Gallipoli (2B near bottom) by the look of it, well that's his first theater of war ,by the look of the record he discharged on this MIC on 17/12/1915 also looks like he had a duplicate set of medals issued as well

MC

post-50787-1260154892.jpg

Sarah

Interesting ! The two MICs could suggest that he first served with 1 Garrison Battalion Essex Regt,which shipped out to Mudros, and then to Gallipoli on 3.9.1915,where he became entitled to the 1914-1915 Star. That Battalion then went on to Egypt in Feb 1916.The MIC on the CF Terry version says "Dis.xx1 17.12.1915". Could he have been discharged and then returned later with the second MIC as CE Terry? He might have been time-served at that point if he was a pre-war soldier. They certainly got in a pickle with his medals,duplicating the issue and some returned.

Some more views or facts from the Forum may help you along the road.

There is a War Diary for the Gallipoli period at Kew under WO95/4356.

Sotonmate

Service Records for men who served after the war should still be with the MOD.

See:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_record...ce_records.html

King's Regulations Paragraph 392 section (xxi) is indeed on the termination of his period of engagement.

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/swb.htm

Steve.