Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers 1/4th battalion Dorsetshire Regiment.

high wood

I have just bought two albums belonging to an officer in the 1/4th battalion Dorsetshire Regiment, which cover his service in India and Mesopotamia. Some superb photographs and everyone captioned. However, he refers to some of his fellow officers by their first names only. To compound the problem, the National Archives MIC database index only shows the initials for many of the officers in the 1/4th battalion.

Does anyone have an idea of the first names of the following officers?

2nd Lieut L. Field. I am particularly keen to find this man's first name as he owned the albums.

2nd Lieut Dowling (possibly James Richards Hodges Dowling Lieut Dorsetshire Regt attached King's African Rifles)

2nd Lieut Powell (probably William Roderick Powell Lieut Acting Captain KiA 9-4-1918.

2nd Lieut H. D. Brown

Lieut A. Alexander

Lieut Wilson

hw

Done a bit of delving in De Ruvigny,just in case,no hits.

Kew Officer Files may have a direct hit on L FIELD as there is only one of that name which came up at my bidding: WO339/79763. Again for JRH DOWLING,there is only one file under WO339/59350. The others are a bit more obscure as there are from a few to many hits on single initial and surname and might need a dedicated search in every file to find the right one !

Lt FIELD was likely ex-Rifle Brigade 79763 when commissioned.

Sotonmate

VILLAR is Arthur William, born Taunton Q1 1897, son of William James (Estate Agent) and Annie Elizabeth VILLAR of Tauntfield House, Taunton (same address on MIC and 1911 Census). Commission in Dorsets 1/3/17 gazetted in same LG edition (20/3/17) as Harold Bertram CARTER.

Harold Bertram CARTER born Hendon district (Willesden) Q2 1898, son of Henry Wilfred (Solicitor) and Elizabeth Napier CARTER of Vine Lodge, Common Hill, Saffron Walden, Essex (1911).

(but I can only find an MIC for a 2/Lt (John) Harold BOWE-CARTER in the Dorsets!)

Robert Dillon FORRESTER born Malmesbury Q3 1876, son of William (Solicitor) and Catherine FORRESTER of Lea Cottage, Cowbridge (1891). Commission in Dorsets gazetted in LG 28/12/15.

Adrian

• 4 years later...

Just wondered if the Lt. Powell might be George William Powell (based on the assumption that his record card shows claims for medals from the O.C. of 1/4 Battalion) see attached.

post-67748-0-96087900-1395156582_thumb.j

If you check the lancing college obituary they have full info on Captain Powell.

He is Captain Wilfred Roderick Powell b14/5/1897.d 9/4/1918

I think this is the right Powell although there are 2 in the 1/4th and 2/4th

In hindsight this is the wrong Powell I'm afraid.However a quick look in the war dairy today has thrown some light on the other officers..

Leonard Field,A.W.VIllar,H.B .Carter and G.W Powell all joined at Ramadi on 17/4/1918.

2nd Lt S.Alexander joined from 1/4th Border Regt 21/4/1918.

2nd Lt Warnford Davis joined 20/9/1917

Lt O.R.C Campbell joined 5/11/1917 from the 3rd Bn Argylle and Sutherland Highlanders and became shipping and supply officer.He returned from hospital 30/6/1918.

2nd Lt Dowling b 23/7/1898 was commissioned into The Dorsets 16/8/1916

2nd Lt Pugsley joined 26/11/1917 from 2nd Bn Dorsetshire Regt.

I hope this is of some help.

Should you be in Dorchester of a wednesday and find your way to The Keep I would love to see the albums,

Pete

Hi Simon,

Thank you for that,It's o.k about the wednesday as just about any wednesday would have been o.k.Please let me know if there is anything else you would like from the diary.

Pete

• 1 year later...

Hello High Wood,

Would you be able to check your Photogragh Album for one Lieut Richard R Filleul?

He served with the 2/4 and 1/4th Dorsets.

He dies in 1921 and was quite a tragic character. On his service file his medical report does not make good reading in respect of his mental stability!

Kind regards,

William

• 4 weeks later...

Hi High Wood,

Bit of a long shot I know, but depending on the dates I know a 2nd Lieut Duncan MacIntyre Wilson (1898-1972) served attached to the Dorsetshire regiment in Mesopotamia from November 1917.

His medal card lists him as a Lieutenant, although I have been unable to find a record for his promotion. He was originally Commissioned into the Gordon Highlanders in March 1917.

Strachan