Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Authentic badges on authentic SD

Muerrisch

3rd Grenadier Guards. This other ranks' jacket was worn by Lt. E. W. Seymour at the crossing of the Broembeek, 9 Oct 1917. There is still a dab of mud in the sleeve which the (presumably working-life) cleaning process had missed. There is also mud in the ridges of the pips, which were loose in the breast pocket, and there are waterstains to the pocket linings.

post-6903-1260354173.jpg

Like the jacket shown in post # 45, this one has no cloth insignia but is a sentimental favourite. Much-battered, stained and repaired, it belonged to Lt. S. Siddeley of the 17th Royal Fusiliers. He spent just over 2 months in France, from May to August 1916, was shellshocked at the Delville Wood fighting and served out the rest of the war in the UK, with a brief spell at Craiglockhart / "Dottyville".

post-6903-1260355222.jpg

Oh Boy! This is a rich seam. Should there be a problem with number of images, they can always be sent to me, preceded by a PM: I would happily act as a data bank for third parties.

The revelation about shoulder patches has cleared a mystery which has bothered me for ages: more later on this when I get my head together.

Hmmmmm Grumpy was there a joke in there some place all these uniforms and you say " This is a rich seam" :lol:

Dan

this is my mstery, none other than Pte. Frank Richards DCM MM 2nd RWF.

Firstly, note that he had been demobbed for quite some time before his battalion received their 1914 stars with clasps, yet he is wearing it.

For some reason, he posed for a studio portrait, and the jacket has baffled me for years. But these are coloured shoulder straps, of which much correspondence above. Note also that he was indeed a signaller.

Comment please.

post-894-1260363460.jpg

post-20062-1260370525.jpg

Hi John, can you post a close up of the dragon patch ... it looks more like a griffin in the photo and unusual as it is facing the opposite way to the 38th Div patch that I know.

thanks, Krithia

If Grumpy doesn't mind my hijacking his otherwise excellent thread, I have been hunting down mythical beasts.

The Welsh dragon has four feet all the same, is normally red in colour, has bat like wings, and for reasons unknown to me one front foot raised in a 'they shall not pass' stance.

The Griffin has bird like wings, head, and front legs, and cat like rear legs, and tail.

The Wyvern is only half a dragon with two legs, and a tail.

None of these creatures pictured below would I want to meet on a dark night.

Gareth

post-890-1260379627.jpg

post-890-1260379659.gif

post-890-1260379682.gif

Re the 38th Div dragon. Certainly looks correct in terms of style but is incorrectly facing right. A similar thing happens with 43rd Div Wyverns from the WW2 period. They are supposed to face west ie left, and were not issued in 'facing' pairs, but a small number were produced facing right. I have contemporary pictures of the wyvern facing the 'wrong' way. In addition printed wyverns were often hand embroidered and flipped over ie embroidered wrong side, to produce a facing pair.

Strictly incorrect, but seemingly fairly common.

John, could you post a clearer detail picture of the dragon?

Regards

Tocemma

well, I don't mind, but what about my avatar ......... accept none other than the genuine article, with rank badges.

Now let's get back to the uniforms, please.

T8,

I'd just finished posting and saw your illustrations. The centre one is hilarious....It looks like the ******* offspring of a gang-bang in a pet shop!

I certainly wouldn't want to meet that one on a dark night. Whoever drew that one must have been off his face!!

Tocemma

T8,

I'd just finished posting and saw your illustrations. The centre one is hilarious....It looks like the ******* offspring of a gang-bang in a pet shop!

I certainly wouldn't want to meet that one on a dark night. Whoever drew that one must have been off his face!!

Tocemma

Tell that to Fuller Smith & Turner - the Griffon it is their logo.

The Tunic belonging to Capt H M Clifford 2/5Th BN Notts and Derby Regt. WiA at Neuve Chappelle April 1918. Two Triangles to each sleeve.

regards

Mark

post-11424-1260474295.jpg

Tunic to a Signaller in 34th Div. The Div badges are metal with fold over tabs, signaller band has crossed flags pinned through it.

Mark

post-11424-1260474567.jpg

Thank you Mark for getting us back on track.

The pretty enamelled flags are not Ordnance, and I am pleased and surprised to see a pair on a period garment. Thats the whole point of this thread: to learn something new.

Grumpy,

Maintaining thread etiquette, I thought I would ask if I could post pictures of authentic patches removed from uniform? I say this because I have a pair if 37 Div horseshoes identical to those on the uniform pictured earlier and would be a good proof so to speak. Also a 30th Div RFU patch.

Regards

TT

Nice tunics Peter.

Thanks Grumpy will take piccies soon. Also have just recieved a PC from an ebay success that shows 37th Div badge on a signaller named and dated March 1918. Will scan and post.

TT

Here is the real PC for J S Morley 37 Div Signal Company. Clearly seen on upper sleeve a horseshoe in what appears to be a dark shade. Does yellow / gold become dark in b & W?

Regards

TT

post-15846-1260721257.jpg

Here is the real PC for J S Morley 37 Div Signal Company. Clearly seen on upper sleeve a horseshoe in what appears to be a dark shade. Does yellow / gold become dark in b & W?

It can do - orthochromatic film (as mostly used during the war) makes some dark colours appear light, and some light colours appear dark. Yellow is one of the main ones it affects - in Gordon kilts for example it turns the yellow stripe dark, thus making it not show up against the rest of the dark kilt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_film