Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Authentic badges on authentic SD

Muerrisch

A worthwhile project for a winter afternoon.

I have very few colour photos of what I take to be authentic badges on authentic SD jackets, yet there are a good few around.

What sort of badge? Anything, really, although I favour 'trade' badges of course.

Any offers please?

post-20062-1260122866.jpg

A tunic to the 2nd/5th Notts and Derby, sold by me a few years ago in a moment of madness, JG

Sgt RAMC

Close up

post-15846-1260125445.jpg

post-15846-1260125515.jpg

John...was a moment of madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TT

Thank you very much to all so far:

please, contributors, could you be kind enough to post:

1. the jacket complete

2. detail badges on jacket.

This will then build to a nice reference set.

I will start a trawl using beta search for such items on other threads and try to draw them together.

its fine: do you understand the coloured shoulder straps 'cos I don't!

Battalion company, JG

Close ups of my Welsh Div tunic. The dragon is faded red on dark blue, the blue circle a royal blue in colour.

Interestingly my dragon is facing t'other way to John's.

Gareth

post-890-1260227589.jpg

post-890-1260227607.jpg

The blue shoulder straps indicate a signaller. This was an per an order in 1917. I'm sorry I can't quote chapter and verse, but someone showed me the order many years ago in a period document. I've seen several of these over the years, all to different units and all with the brass sigs. qualification badge.

Regards,

W.

Wainfleet is probably correct, as I have photos of the N.F. Signallers also wearing the light blue and even oblongs shapes on the lower arm and also coloured shoulder straps.

The order has escaped my diligent reading and copying of AOs, but there you go.

A lot of trouble to go to, one wonders why anyone thought it necessary?

Still, an army that could solemnly issue an order that saluting with either hand was to cease [in favour of right only] presumably had time on its hands!

To echo what has been said about the shoulder strap colour (and I think it might have been me that passed the information to Wainfleet some years ago) this was definitely ordered. Not only that I believe red was used by runners and also yellow (from memory salvage or follow up parties) I will try and locate the copy of the relevant orders.

I once owned an NF SD jacket with red shoulder straps which also had bomb collar badges.

I'm sure I posted a photo a few months back showing signallers with the blue shoulder straps specifically mentioned in the original caption handwritten on the reverse. I will repost. I also have a photo of a 38th Div signaller with the blue shoulder straps being worn.

If memory serves I believe the order to have been in 1917 around the time the cloth shoulder slides were ordered to be stitched to the upper sleeves (but I could be wrong here)

I'll see what I can dig out.

Regards

Tocemma

post-20062-1260290661.jpg

Why have crossed flags, a blue brassard and coloured epauletts to indicate a signaller ??

John,

I have seen plenty of evidence to show that blue bands (meant to be worn on their own) were often worn with crossed flags, crossed flag pinned through the blue band and blue shoulder straps. In a khaki world, if it could be worn it undoubtedly was, and often in bizarre combinations. The photo I refer to above will prove the point. I will post it later.

I also have two versions of these blue bands with the flags still attached.

Tocemma

the plot thickens .... thanks to all for this interesting digression ...... I cannot for the life of me see why anything much beyond the crossed flags badge, and perhaps a brassard for more distant recognition, might be necessary, but clearly the powers that be [were] thought so.

Another puzzling aspect is the reference to 'battalion company'. This might be taken to mean 'battalion HQ company' except this was a post-war construct, and little used in our period because the battalion HQ was called just that. There again, battalion companies were the norm in Napoleonic times: grenadier, battalion, and light were the appellations of the three varieties.

post-20062-1260293844.jpg

The joys of WW1 collecting with so many things to debate over. Anyway a tunic to the West Riding

post-20062-1260290661.jpg

Why have crossed flags, a blue brassard and coloured epauletts to indicate a signaller ??

Signallers were liable to be found in lots of strange places, down holes, up poles and heading in all sorts of strange directions. A redcap would want evidence that the guy was who he said he was. Plus, it looks good and shows the we signallers were extra special.  

the plot thickens .... thanks to all for this interesting digression ...... I cannot for the life of me see why anything much beyond the crossed flags badge, and perhaps a brassard for more distant recognition, might be necessary, but clearly the powers that be [were] thought so.

Another puzzling aspect is the reference to 'battalion company'. This might be taken to mean 'battalion HQ company' except this was a post-war construct, and little used in our period because the battalion HQ was called just that. There again, battalion companies were the norm in Napoleonic times: grenadier, battalion, and light were the appellations of the three varieties.

I think the wording ' battalion company ' should be a company within a battalion, ie 'A 'company, 'B' company etc that makes more sence. JG