Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Cemetery at Serre

Frajohn

Hi

Went over to Serre today to take a photo and saw this. I could not get a better picture as it was raining heavily so did not want to get out of the car.

I could not work out what has happened. Not sure if a tree had fallen and damaged the headstones. There are certainly a large number of stones missing. If it was just a major overhaul of the cemetery surely they would not damage the stones this way.

4163391842_81a1d0666a_b.jpg

Any ideas?

John

That looks horrendous. Its quite a time since I visited it, but I seem to remember that some of the dtructure at the back of the cemetery was cordoned off because of its poor condition, but this looks as if its been wrecked. If it is part of an upgrade its hardly a respectful approach.

Keith

The Padre and I visited last year. The bas relief at the back was in urgent need of repair and I seem to recall subsidence in parts of the cemetery itself. It certainly looks like a major reconstruction job. The local Mairie would doubtless have some information. 

Wow! If the left hand side was simply empty you could understand some kind of overhaul but what disturbs me are the slightly toppled crosses amongst the remaining crosses. Can someone in the area find out please.

Jim

I've asked over Pages 14-18 if anyone knows what is happening there. It's always looked the poor relation next to the two CWGC Serre Road cemeteries but I cannot remember seeing any cemetery in such a mess before.

Hi

I think that it is far worse than it looks in this photo. There are certainly more damaged crosses than shown.

Apart from the rain, the other reason I did not want to get out of the car, was the road being used for a remake of Deathrace 2000. I have never seen so many articulated bulk carriers going up and down a road.

I will try and go there in the morning and get some other photos but also to ask what is happening

John

According to someone who knows the cemetery over at Pages14-18 it is in the process of being renovated. Rather clumsily it would seem.

• 1 month later...

I would hope it is renovation work, when I was there last September it looked very neglected by comparison to the neighbours - which both my wife and I commented is a poor show that the French, on their home ground, couldn't be bothered to maintain the cemetery

especially as, if i remember correctly, the British built the cemetery and then handed it over to the French!

Bruce

This is Serre from a few years back. It was I thought always a very pretty cemetery with beautiful flowers and trees. Such a shame that they had to be cut down, however, sure it was for a very good reason.

sunflower

post-2240-1264674994.jpg

post-2240-1264675046.jpg

This is Serre from a few years back. It was I thought always a very pretty cemetery with beautiful flowers and trees. Such a shame that they had to be cut down, however, sure it was for a very good reason.

sunflower

Nice pic. From that pic I think I can see one of the problems that has had to be an issue - those trees! I had the unpleasant task of having to remove one from my garden, the roots are terrible things! and I would imagine that they had to remove them before they started pushing up the headstones, indeed perhaps that was the problem, when I was there last September there were a few toppled and leaning headstones

Here is a photograph of the cemetery taken on the 14th January - it does look in a sorry state with the crosses removed. There were tree surgeons working in Serre no 1 that day lopping of overhanging branches.

post-48427-1264895625.jpg