Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMAS AE1

melliget

Nice little feature on the BBC News website has just popped up-  103 years on:   Acknowledgements to BBC and Thanks

Australian WW1-era naval submarine HMAS AE-1 found

The HMAS AE-1 submarineImage copyrightAUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT Image captionThere have been 13 missions to find the submarine

The wreck of Australia's first naval submarine has been found after a 103-year search.

The HMAS AE-1 was the first Allied submarine lost in World War I, vanishing off Rabaul, Papua New Guinea with 35 Australian and British crewmates onboard in 1914.

The thirteenth search mission for the vessel found it in waters off the Duke of York islands in Papua New Guinea.

The discovery solves Australia's oldest naval mystery, the government said.

Survey data showing HMAS AE1 on the sea bed.Image copyrightAUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT Image captionSearchers used an underwater drone to find the wreck

"This is one of the most significant discoveries in Australia's naval maritime history," Defence Minister Marise Payne said on Thursday.

"It was the first loss for the Royal Australian Navy and the first Allied submarine loss in World War I; a significant tragedy felt by our nation and our allies."

Map

The search team used an underwater drone floating 40m (131ft) above the sea bed to scour the area. The wreck was found in more than 300m of water.

She said the search team had conducted a brief commemorative service for those who had lost their lives onboard.

The government will try to contact the descendents of the crew, and also work with PNG authorities on commemorations for the site.

"I truly believe this will bring peace of mind to the family and descendants of the crew who lost their lives onboard and perhaps, in time, we may discover what caused the submarine to sink," Ms Payne said.

"HMAS AE1 World War I submarine found after century-long search" 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-21/hmas-ae1-submarine-found-after-century-long-search/9278782

Scroll down for an explanatory video by ABC news presenter  Jeremy Fernandez .

"Royal Australian Navy submarine found after 103 years in Papua New Guinea"

http://www.smh.com.au/world/royal-australian-navy-submarine-found-after-100-years-in-papua-new-guinea-20171221-h08few.html

AE1 went missing while on patrol off East New Britain on September 14, 1914, with 35 Australian, New Zealand and British crew on board.

AE1 was one of two E-class submarines built in Britain for the new Australian navy. It was launched in May 1913 and commissioned into the navy in February 1914.

Commanded by Royal Navy Lieutenant Commander Thomas Besant, AE1 accompanied the Australian expeditionary forces dispatched at the start of WWI to capture then German-occupied New Britain.

Cheers

Maureen

Just reading about it in the Metro 

interesting reading, I hope they find the course of how she sank.  

• 6 months later...