Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with a Tank Corp man

Matthew B.

Folks,

I got chatting with a work collegue recently and he told me his father has just passed on to him his fathers medals and could I help find something out on him. I said I would try, expecting that it would WW2 stars at best, maybe a named campaign medal if I was very lucky.

Well you colour me suprised when I get an email with a photo of the medals and a copy of the citation for his first named medal - a DCM! I attach it to this post (hopefully).

Now this is far out my area (Indian Army) and I would appreciate all any any help from this forum, especially the Tank Corps chaps in helping the family out. His father, now very elderly, would love to know more about his fathers service and anything - copy service papers, the MIC, war diary extract, you name it, would be greatfully recived and passed on.

According to his MIC he was Alfred Pepper, originally Cpl 011198, A.O.C. then 69976 Cpl Tank Corps

His DCM is gazetted in June 1919

Apparently his DCM is named to him as A/Sgt, 19th battalion Tank Corps but with help from another forum makes it clear that he did not win the DCM with them but was probably in the 7th Battalion Tank Corps when he won the DCM. The 19th according to the Tank Corps history never made it to war as were still in England in November 1918.

It's been suggested at this stage say he was 7th becasue the numbers run correct for the 7th. Also 69945 Sergt JG Moffat won a DCM the day before in the 7th.

As I now live in Canada I am not going to get to the NA anytime soon!

Many thanks,

Matthew

post-7605-1260022510.jpg

A good challenge. Let's see where this trails takes us

On.....On......

Stephen

Noticed that it was not an immediate DCM; I wondered he was injured in the action and evacuated - that would make sense

The book, recipients of the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1914-1920 by R.W. Walker shows; 69976 A/Sgt Pepper. A. 19th battalion. 11.3.1920.

Is he the same chap who in about 1947 started a lonely hearts club band? :D

Can't find his service record - bother. The Tank Corps history does not gives any detail.

The main assualt started the day before - 7th, 11th and 15th Bn are mentioned so your thoughts seem to be in the right direction

Stephen

Is he the same chap who in about 1947 started a lonely hearts club band?

priceless - you sure this thread wasn't started just for that line? :lol::lol::lol:

Tried to add a very lonely heart but it's gone into the header...... oh well, that's now very lonely!

Matthew

Hi it is Simon again - as I told you I am almost definate he was 7th.

My research has over 8,000 soldiers now and the 7th numbers went from 697** to 70012.

What the others have told you regarding the award date matches with the 7th.

It seems he was transferred to the 19th and got the DCM then and someone made an error on the battalion. Alot of mistakes were madel on naming medals and records

Simon :o

Matthew

Hi it is Simon again - as I told you I am almost definate he was 7th.

My research has over 8,000 soldiers now and the 7th numbers went from 697** to 70012.

What the others have told you regarding the award date matches with the 7th.

It seems he was transferred to the 19th and got the DCM then and someone made an error on the battalion. Alot of mistakes were madel on naming medals and records

Simon :o

The 19th was forming at Bovington in September 1918; it would have made sense for him to be posted to it if he was sent back to the Uk at this time. (Looking at the 9 Jun 1919 award lst there were 34 other DCM awarded at this time)