Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Telfer 12th Battalion HLI - A puzzle.

kenmorrison

Thomas Telfer 12th Battalion, Highland Light Infantry is listed on the New Abbey War Memorial, Dumfries and Galloway (Kirkcudbrightshire as was).

BUT he is not listed by CWGC nor on the Scottish National War Memorial.

The local role of honour, published in the late 1920's, has him as HLI, KIA March 1918

A local newspaper, dated 12 April 1918, reports him KIA in France (but no date) and that he was a Forester working on an estate in New Abbey. He left a wife and three children, residing in New Abbey.

He was born 1888 in Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire, married 1911 in Kirkbean, Kirkcudbrightshire, and his three children were all born in New Abbey.

I can find no record of his death post war.

Any HLI experts out there who can help?

Ken

There was a 21934 Thomas Telfer in the 12th H.L.I. but he seems to have survived the war...! :mellow:

Thanks guys.

The first two posts are the same man - Thomas Telfer 14th HLI DoD 28/11/1917.

The last one looks "interesting" The N/Archives Campaign Medals lists him as Thomas B Telfer 21934 (not far from Thomas E) and I didn't know he was a 12th Bn. man.

Mind you they also list a Thomas Telfer 55245 HLI - 616583 Labour Co. and a Thomas C Telfer 4084 HLI - 20932 Army Pay Co.

I'll keep digging.

Ken

I wonder if there's any relationship with any of these chaps to Major A.D. Telfer-Smollett DSO MC of the 2nd HLI?

Cheers,

Tim L.