Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War memorials in Germany

Chris_Baker

Yesterday I visited a very large factory in Schweinfurt (to become famous as an air target in a later war). In the main reception area I was surprised to see a large bronze plaque affixed to the wall. It was a very nice 1914-1918 memorial, with I estimate 100 or so soldiers listed. Just names, no other details, except (translated ).

"To the fallen heroes of Pracisions-Kugel-Lager-Werke Sachs 1914-1918".

The company was in those days and until quite recently called Fichtel & Sachs, famous in recent times for automotive components. They were bought 2 years ago by another name with Great War resonance, ZF, or Zeppelin Friedrichshafen.

I have seen a few Great War memorals in British factories too, but wondered if anyone else had seen one in a German factory or business premises?

Chris

Don't know about industrial memorials in Germany, but I can remember walking to the top of the Grunten near Sonthofen in Bavaria, to find a beautiful memorial chapel to (I think) a WW1 Jager regiment. Could any of our German members enlighten me?

Terry Reeves

Nearly every village in Germany that has a grown history over the centuries remember their fallen sons in WWI and II. Typically these memorials are always located in the center of the village. Even big cities, with parts not wiped out by WWII bombs, usually know that kind of memorials, but located inside the premises of the larger cemeteries.

When I was in the army I was married and lived off post in Hohenstaufen, one of the Schwabish Albs along with Schwabish Hall and Schwabish Gamund. Beautiful, the Holy ROman Emperors the Barbarossas came from there, ruins of their castle drew lots of tourists. At top of hill except for path to ruins were me. wife, Frau Munz and the churches, both had lovely memorials of soldiers comforting dying comrades. Wife assumed man with helment was holding a woman! " Look, there's a staute of a German and a lady!"