Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Littleborough Soldier not on the War Memorial

jainvince

Hi All,

Bernard...for the record....as you don't have access to Ancestry etc...

On 10/06/2021 at 16:47, jainvince said:

I have amended my records to show was aged 20 and also edited the post accordingly.  Fred may also have been related to other soldier who died, Pte Edward Holt & Rifleman William Gibson.

AS I no longer have access to Ancestry or Findmypast I am unable to confirm the ralatives. However, these were found by the History Society's President, Peter Cryer, an inviterate researcher who started off our researches into Littleborough's WW1 Fallen Heroes.

There is no doubt that our Frederick Stead was born in Yorkshire in 1897. His step- mother being Sarah Elizabeth...soldiers' effects, Sarah E.... (Nee Simpson ). The address 2 Back William Street, Littleborough shows a Fred Stead born in Rochdale in 1883. Ann Stead was born 1887 in Littleborough. Fred did not have a sister called Ann, she was Hilda and he did not have any brothers as shown on the censuses. The 1891 census shows the Stead family at 2 Back William Street and can not possibly be our Fred's mother and sister. In 1881 the same James and Martha Stead and 2 children were living at 4 Holt St., Wardle. The younger child, Joseph having been born in Rochdale 5 months earlier.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

In my opinion the "relatives" in Back William Street are not his " Mother and sister Mrs Gibson" he only had one sister - Hilda and she was still single in 1939 , I believe these relatives are the relatives of the chap born in 1883

If we are saying that the mother of Fred and Hilda was Elizabeth Brooks, then this is their birth records as per the GRO.

STEAD, HILDA    

BROOKS  

GRO Reference: 1889  J Quarter in BRAMLEY  Volume 09B  Page 399

STEAD, FRED    

BROOKS  

GRO Reference: 1896  J Quarter in BRAMLEY  Volume 09B  Page 364

If Elizabeth died in 1901 and his father remarried to Sarah E Simpson as per the 1911 Census this must be the family