Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private ALFONSO WILLIAM VINCE

greatbeanbags

In Memory of Private ALFONSO WILLIAM VINCE

17368, 1st Bn., Suffolk Regiment who was killed age 25 on 03 October 1915 at the Battle of Loos.

Son of Mr. and Mrs. R. S. Vince, of The Post Office, Monks Eleigh; husband of Mary Vince, of "The Willows", Monks Eleigh, Ipswich. My great uncle & elder brother of my grandfather 44510 A.Cpl Stanley Gilbert Gordon Vince Man R. 20th & 22nd Bn's who survived WW1.

Remembered with honour LOOS MEMORIAL in France:

www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=1771273

www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=79500&mode=1

I have his medal card, my cousin his medals & death plaque. Please can someone find & post his War Service Record for us please? excl.gif Thanks. biggrin.gif

Will post images of his other memorabilia when I can resize them.

post-51610-1259615682.jpg

Is he related Charles D Vince of the Royal Iish Fusiliers?

Regards.

Tom.

Is he related Charles D Vince of the Royal Iish Fusiliers?

Regards.

Tom.

Not that I am aware Tom. This is what I know so you tell me please?

There were 4 Vince brothers - from a small rural village in Suffolk called Monks Eleigh. The eldest Clarence stayed home to run the family Timber Business important to the war effort - the other 3 fought in WW1 but only my grandfather, Stanley survived! There was another Vince boy (possibly a cousin, called Jo). His details are below: In Memory of Lance Corporal Jo Vince, 551929, 1st/16th Bn., London Regiment (Queen's Westminster Rifles) who died age 31on 14 April 1917. Son of Charles F. and C. Vince, of Meadow Bank, Monks Eleigh, Bildeston, Suffolk.

Remembered with honour - ARRAS MEMORIAL

Commemorated in perpetuity by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Clive

At the last militaria fair in Cork his ww1 pair of medals were for sale.

Regards.

Tom.

At the last militaria fair in Cork his ww1 pair of medals were for sale.

Regards.

Tom.

Hi Tom

I haven't met my cousin yet who tells me his grandfathers medals etc. are in the loft! They might be his fathers WW2 medals!! Plan to visit him soon to find out for sure!!! The medals you talk about may have been to 23429 Alphonse Vince, 11 Man R. - his medal card is next to my great uncles on a page of 6 obtained from the NA. Note Alphonse is a slightly different spelling to Alfonso.

I shall contact my cousin now just to see if I can get him into the loft! He is not so keen as me on family WW1 history though & very laid back!! If you know for sure that it was my great uncles medals that were for sale can you tell me more about who to contact to try & buy back please? :)

Thanks.

Clive

'The medals you talk about may have been to 23429 Alphonse Vince, 11 Man R.'

I dont know if there is any connection I just know that belonged to Charles D Vince Royal Irish Fusiliers and were a ww1 pair not Alphonse Vince of the Manchesters.

Regards.

Tom

'The medals you talk about may have been to 23429 Alphonse Vince, 11 Man R.'

I dont know if there is any connection I just know that belonged to Charles D Vince Royal Irish Fusiliers and were a ww1 pair not Alphonse Vince of the Manchesters.

Regards.

Tom

Just spoke to my cousin - he has his Alfonso's death plaque & papers in his office - pretty sure his grandfathers 3 medals are in a box up in the loft! He is off to check soon - keep you posted.

My interest is only as far back as my grandfather & his brothers on this side of my family. Mainly because I have memorabilia etc. Going further back or into other family branches is not important or what I would wish to do. Many thanks for contacting me Tom. If you could find his War Service Record for us well that would be something?! Kind regards.

Clive

Clive.

Much as I would like to help I have no access to ancestry but other pals might help if you asked. They are a great bunch. Charles D Vince's number is 22825.

Regards.

Tom.

QUOTE (museumtom @ Dec 1 2009, 01:03 PM)

Clive.

Much as I would like to help I have no access to ancestry but other pals might help if you asked. They are a great bunch. Charles D Vince's number is 22825.

Regards.

Tom.

Thanks Tom - requested in this topic so let's hope someone comes up trumps!

I don't have a picture of my great uncle in uniform but here is one of him as a young man taken in 1910 or thereabouts. He is the person in the back row 3rd right. His younger brother Stanley is kneeling front right - my grandfather who survived WW1 in the Manchester Regiment fighting on the Somme, The 3rd Battle of Ypres 1917 & The Italian Campaign 1918. Man back row far left is Clarence Vince (another great uncle) who survived the war as he stayed at home running the family Timber business - vital to war effort. My great gran is centre front row - they should have sent her to fight!

Clive

post-51610-1259681739.jpg

Plaque in St. Peters Church to the men of WW1 who fought from the Suffolk village of Monks Eleigh. Names in gold were killed those in black survived. Alfonso is here with 2 of his brothers & a cousin Jo. 3 out of 4 Vinces were KIA! :(

post-51610-1259696560.jpg

• 7 months later...

Now have a picture of my great uncle in uniform.................for all to seecool.gif

post-51610-089681900 1279105252.jpg

• 5 years later...

Managed to visit Dud Corner Cemetery in Loos-en-Gohelle in June 2015 where my eldest great uncle Alfonso William Vince is remembered. He is also remembered on the wall at Notre Dame de Lorette.

Pictures of both plus the field position of Little Willie trench this day looking towards the now wooded Hohenzollern Redoubt. Alfonso was KIA attacking this German trench along with 7 officers & 150 other ranks of the Suffolk Regiment 1st Bn. on the morning of Oct 3, 1915 at the battle of Loos.

The trench is in ground owned by the family of the partner of a great Frenchman pictured with me in Red .... Philippe Clerbout. He gave me artefacts from Metal detecting exploits over the trench ground including bullets, buttons, buckles, shrapnel, cutlery & even a trench spade head plus bayonet! Awesome!!

It will soon be 100 years since this action.....LEST WE FORGET.

post-51610-0-76338300-1438202761_thumb.j

post-51610-0-66258900-1438202783_thumb.j

post-51610-0-34128900-1438202799_thumb.j

post-51610-0-23340500-1438202821_thumb.j

post-51610-0-57968200-1438202862_thumb.j

post-51610-0-27474900-1438202894_thumb.j

post-51610-0-72247500-1438202914_thumb.j

post-51610-0-56095000-1438203000_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

Alfonso was remembered with pride at the new Hohenzollern Redoubt Memorial by M.Clerbout this weekend.

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

Steve...I couldn't have wished for a better person than Philippe to represent my family in remembering my great uncle who fell at Loos in 1915. We are firm friends & will meet up again soon for sure.

• 1 year later...

Met up with my friend Philippe at Loos last weekend.  My son Tom accompanied me & we followed in Alfonso's footsteps for his benefit.

Philippe also arranged for us to see a fantastic museum about the Battle of Loos in Loos-en-Gohelle itself where you could actually touch & feel war memorabilia from over 100 years ago.  A must to visit & entry costs only 3 euros!

Will post some pictures now....hopefully!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Admin

Another vote for the excellent museum at Loos, and its delightful curator, Gilles. (Pictured above in the white T Shirt) I met Philippe at Lone Tree last year, he does a great deal to help with remembrance.