Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

More help!

Guest Alex Free

I have along with my great grandads war medals a police medal with no background. The only information I have is that it is a 'Special Constabulary Long Service Medal' and the name on it is 'Artley Foster', nothing else. Does anyone have any Idea where to start????

Researching these medals is almost impossible unless you know the force to which the recipient was attached. If your family live in the same area now as they did during the Great War (I'm assuming here that the medal is GRV) then an enquiry to your local force might be a start. Police Force archives are often incomplete and their willingness to assist with research varies widely from force to force. Sorry I can't offer a more positive reply.

Regards

Martin

I can't offer any direct assistance, but if you know what force he belonged to you may be able to make some headway. In the cities, the police force had their own Chief Constable who produced an annual report on behalf or the Watch Committee who supervised the police. You may well find a mention in this report. Local council minute books, an often overlooked resource, can also provide information if you know what area he lived in.

Terry Reeves

Many County forces have a Force local history society that may be able to help. However, as Terry and Martin have already stated you need to know what Force the recipient was attached.

Information will vary but you may also be able to obtain a service history if you can prove that you are a direct descendant. Details for 'specials' are probably more scarce than records for full time coppers.

Regards

Marc

Alex,

The following may be of help:

Police Medals of the World by Roger Campion

Token Publishing, Devon, 2002, 390 pages, approx 300 b&w illustrations,

paperback, ISBN 1 870 192 478 £19.95 (plus £3 p&p)

Available from Orchard House, Duchy Road, Heathpark, Honiton, Devon EX14 1YD

Tel: 01404 44166 email: info@tokenpublishing.com

This new work covers the most popular and most collectable awards, medals and decorations of Police Forces from around the world. It includes awards for Long and Meritorious Service and for Gallantry, as well as Jubilee and Constabulary issues. The work is broken down not just by country but by force, state, territory, province and town.

The illustrations of Long Service/Good Conduct/Meritorious Conduct police medals (21) in a medal book I have, clearly show the city or county borough that issued them on the medal.

Has the ribbon survived with the medal? If so, can you describe it.

Ronnie.

Ronnie,

The official Spec Con & Police LSGC medals do not show the force to which a man belonged. Other local/regional awards may well do so.

You will find that many forces simply do not have the records to refer to, others are unwilling to release details.

The best bet is to try to track down where someone was living and work from there. As stated above, council minute books may be a good start, especially for the Watch Committee.

Rob

The Police Historical Society may be of help.

Contact address:

Mr.Mark Stallion

18 Cornec Chase

Leigh-on-Sea

Essex SS9 3SE

I can see this may be more difficulty to trace than I thought, but thanks everyone for your info so far.

Ronnie, if its any help, the ribbon is a thick red band in the center, then a small white, then black, then white band all of equal width each side.

Thanks