Remembered Today:

Bars (Medal)

David B

Bloody hell Tony,

That would be one hell of a re-unite !

Fair play Gareth :)

Neil

Gentleman

I am sorry to rain on your parade, but there is a degree of assumption here that I find mildly annoying.

I have not been approached concerning the album. I have absolutely no intention of parting with it. I have lived with Frank Simmonds for forty odd years, and he has become my hero, and representative of the all those who fought in the Great War. My own Gt Uncles (below) items having long since vanished, I don't even have a photo

I purchased the album because it contained photos from the Boer War period my interest at the time. The WW1 items including the certificate were a very pleasing bonus discovered when I got it home.

I am on record within this forum of stating that I find medal collecting a dull occupation, chuck fifty of the things in a bucket, and try drawing out an individuals first go. If it is thought a good idea to reunite medals with album, they could always come north. They would have a very good home, but I would have absolutely no interest in what ever ridiculous value they are considered to have accrued.

On the other hand I have picked up a second version of the group of four photo posted above, because I could recognise and name all four of the lads in it, at a militaria fair, miles away from the IOW, and I have also watched with interest as a third version went by on e-bay, that's a million to one shot.

From the album I know that Frank married a young Boer girl, and lost her soon after he came home from the war, When I am in the area I always visit the grave.

I am more than happy to supply better copies of all the relevant photos, but the album stays with me. I did collect WW1 militaria, but having the bulk of my collection stolen, including the few items my Grandfather had from his time in the Navy sort of took the shine off, thankfully it was stored in a different place.

When I use his strap cutter I think of Frank, when I pause for two minutes I think of Frank, as I cannot picture Gt Uncle. Frank is family now.

The shop burned out about six years later, it was never the same after that, too tidy. Its a house now, but the fire was very spectacular.

Gareth

Sorry Gareth,

It seemed by comments made that something was going on behind the scenes.

As for collecting medals been a 'dull occupation' - Each to their own. I collect medals myself and find it far from dull :)

Neil

Yes medals very far from Dull .Medals not life and death but more important than that .I will copy the the pictures off the forum and add then to the info i have on him .A nerve seems to have been hit when i did not even move.

thanks for the posts MC