Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grave of Ltn. Victor Richardson M.C.

MichaelBully

Hello Terry

I don't about being famous ! There are still individuals and organisations who have not responded to my letters about Victor Richardson's grave restoration. I am too much of a gentleman to start a 'name and shame' campaign. I have not embarked on any restoration/conservation work before so working out which parties might be interested can only be done by writing to them and then see who replies.

From talking to individuals who have read 'Testament of Youth', or at least know of it, nobody so far has suggested that it is best to leave the grave ( and others like it) alone and let the weather and nature take their course at it were. People seem to feel that its appropriate to restore Victor's grave.

Will PM you later about other Hove and the Great War matters.

Regards

Michael

You're getting quite famous Michael. I've just read Sapper Martin. Highly recommended. A bit about post occupation Brussels I'd never heard about. Very well written amazing that he never worked it up for publication. See you later Terry.

Hello Michael

Have you seen thread about Smith-Dorrien grave that has also fallen into disrepair?

mandy

Hello Mandy- which thread is that? I have tried search on 'Smith-Dorrien' but can't locate it! Searching on 'Smith' gives too many options !

Can you post the link? Thanks.

Hello Michael

Have you seen thread about Smith-Dorrien grave that has also fallen into disrepair?

mandy

Hi Michael

Can't work out how to add a link?

This should hopefully get you there - use beta search top left put Smith Dorrien into search and it should be the top thread that shows up.

Mandy

Hello Mandy, have found the thread and posted on it -thanks. Helpful to read about other 'Forum members thoughts on grave restoration.

Hi Michael

Can't work out how to add a link?

This should hopefully get you there - use beta search top left put Smith Dorrien into search and it should be the top thread that shows up.

Mandy

• 2 weeks later...

The Western Front Association latest Bulletin have included a letter from me about Victor Richardson's grave and the possible restoration. They did not have room for photo, but I have invited anyone interested to write to me by 'snail mail' or E mail. Pleased of the extra publicity, and hopefully this may reach individuals who might be interested who do not use E mail or the WWW.

• 3 months later...

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission have notified me that work has started in respect of restoring the grave of Victor Richardson MC. I have just seen the grave - the headstone has been cleaned and the missing lead letters have been restored. Some of the plants that have got out of hand previously have been cut back. Will visit again on 11th November. It is good to know that some progress has been made and very grateful to the CWGC.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission have notified me that work has started in respect of restoring the grave of Victor Richardson MC. I have just seen the grave - the headstone has been cleaned and the missing lead letters have been restored. Some of the plants that have got out of hand previously have been cut back. Will visit again on 11th November. It is good to know that some progress has been made and very grateful to the CWGC.

Michael

Please PM me when the work as finished .

Would like to see your original picture of the grave and the restored grave.

Well done to all your efforts

Geoff

Hello Geoff

I have heard back from the CWGC, now looks as if their input has ended. Their priority has been to ensure that the grave still clearly commemorates Victor Richardson. This has been achieved by repairing the lettering and cleaning the headstone.

I will contact his family and then decide how best to proceed in costing what else needs to be done and then trying to raise the funds. Will keep GWF informed.

With best wishes and thank you Geoff- and everyone else- for their interest and support.

Michael Bully

Michael

Please PM me when the work as finished .

Would like to see your original picture of the grave and the restored grave.

Well done to all your efforts

Geoff

I am glad to see your persistence has paid off Michael. I probably won't be there on the 11th as it is my birthday. Not sure what I am doing yet but I usually go to The Cross in the centre of Chichester at 11am.

Mandy

Update : I haven't got any photos of the restored headstone as yet. The relatives have, and are pleased with the result. They want to go for a full restoration of the grave, but may raise the money privately as it were rather than go for full public appeal. Will keep everyone posted. From seeing the grave recently, seems a couple of people are visiting, as flowers and a rememberance cross have been left.

Mandy -will message you soon !

Regards

Michael Bully

Went to Victor Richardson's grave on Thursday 11th November, for 11 AM. Left some flowers and a remembrance cross. Remembrance crosses had already been left on the graves in the section for the Great War dead ,but Victor's grave is counted as a family grave so did not get marked.

A new book titled 'None That Go Return- Leighton, Brittain and Friends, and the Lost Generation 1914-1918' by Don Farr, Helion & Company Ltd. is now finally published.

The story of Roland Leighton, Geoffrey Thurlow, Victor Richardson and Edward Brittain-the four main male characters of Vera Brittain's 'Testament of Youth' .

Don Farr is a military historian, and has researched the lives of the four young officers as individuals in their own right, complimenting what is known from Vera Brittain's 'Testament of Youth' and 'Chronicle of Youth'.

Available on Amazon , ISBN 978-1-906033-83-5

In the link below are before and after photos of the grave of Ltn Victor Richardson, now the CWGC has carried out some repair work on the lead lettering and some tidying up of the grave, thanks go to Michael for bringing it to their attention.

http://s1091.photobucket.com/albums/i391/mandyhall86/

Mandy

• Admin

Michael

I just looked on Amazon, it said dispatched in 1-2 months so I don't think it is out yet.

Michelle

Thanks very much for placing the photos on the WWW-Mandy. Yes, the grave is looking so much better thanks to the CWGC intervention. WIll report back when discussed with the relatives what the next move should be regarding the restoration.

I remember earlier this year obtaining photos of Victor Richardson's grave from the CWGC dating from Spring 2004, and how the grave was in a much better state, and the stone cross was upright. It seems that once the deterioration started, it didn't take long to go for the grave to go into decline as it were.

More 'Testament of Youth' readers seem to have found the grave, as more flowers and remembrance crosses are being left.

With best wishes

Michael

In the link below are before and after photos of the grave of Ltn Victor Richardson, now the CWGC has carried out some repair work on the lead lettering and some tidying up of the grave, thanks go to Michael for bringing it to their attention.

http://s1091.photobu...91/mandyhall86/

Mandy

Hello Michelle

I am not sure what is happening with Amazon but the 'Helion and Company ' website suggest that it is available. The link was down a few days ago but was working just now !

I understood the official publication date to be 15th November 2010, but then this got moved to 18th November 2010. I am still waiting for my copy.

The ISBN number is 978-1-906-33-83-5

With all good wishes

Michael

http://www.helion.co.uk/product.asp?strParents&CAT_ID=0&P_ID=118087&strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=1

Michael

I just looked on Amazon, it said dispatched in 1-2 months so I don't think it is out yet.

Michelle

• Admin

My copy just arrived from Helion. Very cheerful snowy postie delivered it and my WFA calendar.

Michelle

Still waiting for my copy Michelle! Looking forward to what you think about it, especially how Victor is portrayed. Out of the four officers, he comes over as being the most enthusiastic about going to the 'Front. The severe bout of meningitis he contracted meant that it was not until Autumn 1916 he was fit enought to go to the 'Front, though he joined up very soon after war was declared.

My copy just arrived from Helion. Very cheerful snowy postie delivered it and my WFA calendar.

Michelle

• 1 month later...

Have written to Victor's relatives again to see whether they wish us to go further for a further restoration of the grave. If so, should we go for a public appeal or just discreetly contact people we know to see if they would contribute.

Have finished 'None That Go Return' and think that it is a very helpful addition to the whole 'Testament of Youth' phenomenum as it were- reclaiming the four young men as military officers and detaching them from Vera Brittain's shadow and placing their tragically short lives and deaths in relation to the overall course of the Great War. Don Farr's conclusion is that there was indeed a 'lost generation' so I think that Vera's admirers will feel that 'Testament of Youth' is vindicated to some extent.

There is previously unpublished material about Victor's life which his surviving relatives helped to supply.

• 3 weeks later...

There will be a visit to Victor Richardson M.C. grave on 9th June 2011, to mark the anniversary of his death in 1917, to honour his memory and to lay flowers. Full details to follow. Most likely to be at 11 AM.

• 2 weeks later...

I would welcome advice please : I am researching the life of Ltn. Victor Richardson,4th Battalion Royal Sussex, attached 9th K.R.R.C. most remembered as 'Victor' or 'Tah' from Vera Brittain's 'Testament of Youth', 'Chronicle of Youth' and related material.

Michael, I have produced a page on Victor Richardson based on the letters he wrote to Vera and Edward Brittain:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWWrichardsonV.htm

Thanks John, I have just come back from Hove Cemetery and visited Victor's grave. Pleased that you have written about Victor Richardson . I have read a lot more on Victor Richardson , and seen his War Service records.

And of course, a Don Farr's 'None That Go Return' has been published with more information about the lives of Victor Richardson, Edward Brittain, Geoffrey Thurlow and Roland Leighton. I have attempted a review here

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=159190&st=0&p=1540192&fromsearch=1entry1540192

Out of the four young officers from 'Testmant of Youth' Victor seems to be the one who was most convinced that the Great War was a noble cause. With reference to 'Letters From A Lost Generation' (Edited by Alan Bishop and Mark Bostridge), his letter to Edward Brittain of 18th May 1916, highlights Victor's belief that the Allies were 'God's instrument' , and seemed to be able to reconcile Christianity to fighting in the Great War.

A matter that still seems to be unresolved is that Victor's War Service records maintain that his relatives were present at his death on 9th June 1917 at the 2nd London General Hospital in Chelsea. Vera' Brittain's account in 'Testament of Youth' maintains that they were not: Victor's relatives were staying with Vera Brittain's parents and Vera maintains that the hospital rang the concierge of the building to advise them to return to the hospital due to Victor's deterioration, but the message was not passed on.

Regards

Michael Bully

Michael, I have produced a page on Victor Richardson based on the letters he wrote to Vera and Edward Brittain:

http://www.spartacus...richardsonV.htm

• 1 month later...

Brighton Gazette 16th June 1917

Lieut. Victor Richardson

Funeral at Hove

With military hounours the remains of Lieutenant Victor Richardson, was, as announced in Wednesday's Brighton Gazette, passed away in a London Military Hospital on Saturday, were laid to rest in Hove Cemetery on Thursday afternoon. The gallant youg officer was the eldest son of Mr. F.V. Richardson of 65 Wilbury Avenue, and 15 Cambridge Road , Hove. The cortege was met at the entrance of the cemetery by a bugle and drum band, under Drummer-Sergeant Pratt, and a firing party. The hearse passed on, and the squads followed a slow march. The coffin was enveloped in the Union Jack, and resting upon it were officer's cap and sword. The coffin bore the inscription: 'Liet. Victor Richardson, King's Royal Rifles, died 9th June, 1917, aged 22 years," There were beautiful floral tributes sent the inscriptions being as follows:-

"In proud and loving memory of dear Victor. Dad, Maurice and Gertie:" "In loving memory, from Edith Brittain". "From Vera". "In proud and loving memory, from Grandpa, Aunt and Uncle"; "With sincere sympathy from Mr. and Mrs. W.H.Bailey and Reggie". "With sincere sympathy from Mr. and Mrs. Welsford Smithers and grandsons": "From Mrs. Edmonds". "With much sympathy from the staff at Third Avenue". "With sincere sypmathy from Mr. and Mrs. W Hardy and Miss Hardy". "In loving memory from all the family-Mr. W.E. Richardson." "In deepest sympathy from his friends at Belvedere" "With much sympathy from 15 Cambridge road". "From Mr. R.P. Richardson." "To dear 'Tah' in loving rememberance, from Marie, Robert, Clare, and Evelyn Leighton."