Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier named PINKARD killed in action September 1914?

melliget

This could be a newspaper error but I'll post it anyway.

In this article from The Times, 24 Nov 1914, Ellen Pinkard, in court for neglecting her children, was described as "the widow of a soldier killed in action in September". There are no soldiers named Pinkard for 1914 in CWGC. The only Ellen Pinkard I can find in the 1911 census that is the right age is Ellen Elizabeth Pinkard (29) of Northampton, wife of Thomas Milford Pinkard (28) and mother of Mabel Lilian Pinkard (4). There are only 2 MICs for Thomas Pinkard - Private Thomas M. Pinkard, Lancashire Fusiliers, and Driver Thomas Pinkard, Royal Field Artillery, but both were discharged in 1918.

Any ideas on this one?

Martin

Edit: Article removed.

This could be a newspaper error but I'll post it anyway.

In this article from The Times, 24 Nov 1914, Ellen Pinkard, in court for neglecting her children, was described as "the widow of a soldier killed in action in September". There are no soldiers named Pinkard for 1914 in CWGC. The only Ellen Pinkard I can find in the 1911 census that is the right age is Ellen Elizabeth Pinkard (29) of Northampton, wife of Thomas Milford Pinkard (28) and mother of Mabel Lilian Pinkard (4). There are only 2 MICs for Thomas Pinkard - Private Thomas M. Pinkard, Lancashire Fusiliers, and Driver Thomas Pinkard, Royal Field Artillery, but both were discharged in 1918.

Any ideas on this one?

Martin

Martin - have you seen the Samuel John PinCkard (husband of Ellen) on cwgc for 17/9/14?

SPN

Maldon

Maldon,

Nice find indeed. :thumbsup: That's got to be him.

Cheers Andy.

Name: PINCKARD, SAMUEL JOHN

Initials: S J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northamptonshire Regiment

Unit Text: "A" Coy. 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 17/09/1914

Service No: 7297

Additional information: Husband of Ellen Marriott (formerly Pinckard), of 5, Todd's Lane, Grafton St., Northampton.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: LA FERTE-SOUS-JOUARRE MEMORIAL

Well done, Maldon! Yes, that would seem to be him - right month, Northamptonshire Regiment. The 1911 census has Ellen Pinckard of Towcester. I cut the name back to Pink in CWGC but that wasn't far enough!

Thanks.

Martin

Well done, Maldon! Yes, that would seem to be him - right month, Northamptonshire Regiment. The 1911 census has Ellen Pinckard of Towcester. I cut the name back to Pink in CWGC but that wasn't far enough!

Thanks.

Martin

No probs mate - glad it was of some help.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon