Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

hospital records

munce

I know my grandfather was a patient at the Edinburgh War Hospital (Bangour) in early 1918. I also know his regiment and service number, and the fact that his service records do not exist in the PRO in WO363 or 364. I tried contacting the archives of that hospital, held at Edinburgh University, but was told that such records were the property of the MoD and were to be found at the PRO. I would like to find out his date of admission, and the nature of his wounds. I can't track these records down on the PROCAT site, however, so can anyone tell me how to find them?

Many thanks.

I have read that about 5% - 10% of medical record cards from all military hospitals survive at the PRO in class MH106. See also N Holding - 'More Sources of World War 1 Army Ancestry'. This book apparently gives the hospitals and dates covered by these records.

This is a subject I will be researching myself soon. My Great Uncle died at Etaples Military Hospital. I hope to visit the PRO in the not too distant future I'd be happy to check the records for you.

All the best

Laurence

Like Rob, I stand to be corrected but as far as I am aware the only UK WW1 Military Hospital records held at the PRO are the following.

Napsbury.

Queen Alexandra's- Millbrook.

Catterick Military Hospital.

Craiglockhart.

Catterick Command Depot.

There are Others for General Hospitals, CCSs and Field Ambulances but they were all overseas.

After the war all the medical cards recording soldiers treatments were collected together and used for two purposes, to compile a book "Medical Statistics" and to verify claims for disability pensions. There were a vast amount of these records (they are quoted as weighing 126 tons).

By 1975 they were no longer needed and the vast majority were destroyed. A sample selection was passed to the PRO MH 106/ (2000 boxes of them). To add to the complications they are not indexed.

From the previously mentioned book by Norman Holding.

John.

Thanks for all the replies.

Laurence, if you're going to the PRO anyway to look for hospital records then I'd be grateful if you could see if there's anything on Pte William Muncie, no. 59283, 2nd Royal Scots. I know he was in Edinburgh War Hospital near Bangour on the 7th July 1918, and I also know he was discharged in Sep 1918. I'd be interested in the date of admission, and what he was in for. It's unlikely anything will turn up, going from the others' replies, but you never know. If you get round to it, it'd be much appreciated.

Have you tried your Local County Record Office?

The following appeared in our local paper last week.

"Records of WW1 Donated"

Records (probably not official) from a Buxton Hospital have been donated to the Derbyshire Record Office. The Devonshire Hospital was used to treat many injured troops from Britain, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. many patients signed an autoraph album with details of regiment , date etc. The documents can be seen at etc. Admittedly it may only be the album in question.

A bundle of soldiers letters recently came to light and they were sent to the above office.

You never really know what such an office might hold?

Stuart

• 3 years later...
I know my grandfather was a patient at the Edinburgh War Hospital (Bangour) in early 1918. I also know his regiment and service number, and the fact that his service records do not exist in the PRO in WO363 or 364. I tried contacting the archives of that hospital, held at Edinburgh University, but was told that such records were the property of the MoD and were to be found at the PRO. I would like to find out his date of admission, and the nature of his wounds. I can't track these records down on the PROCAT site, however, so can anyone tell me how to find them?

Many thanks.

Did you get anywhere with your enquiries? Id be interetsed to know because my ggrandfather John Maloney RS was in that hospital from Apr 1918 to July 1918.

Regards

Dave

• 1 month later...

Munce try Edinburgh castle they have a lot of info on regaments and they're soldiers also go into teh big cathedrral bit it has books on all the people who were injured/killed in the WARS,the only reason I know this I'm tracing my family tree and my tutor has given me some papers to try and find these things out also try Registrar House on Princess St. Good luck with finding him. Let me Know how you get on!! :rolleyes: