Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Automatic Pistol

SteveE

Pretty ambiguous question this but what types of "Automatic Pistol" would a British Mounted Infantryman have been likely to have been carrying in early 1916?

Regards

Steve

The short answer is none at all.

I don't think mounted infantry would have been issued with a pistol of any kind, unless perhaps they were machine gunners. The cavalry would have carried Webley Mark V or possibly Mark VI revolvers at that time.

The army did purchase a very limited number of Webley .455 Self loading pistols for the Royal Horse Artillery, but they were the exception rather than the rule.

Regards

TonyE

Tony

Thanks for the reply, you've gone some way to confirming my suspicions that one wouldn't have been issued as a matter of course so I'm left wondering whether it was likely to be a 'private' weapon.

Only reason I ask is because I came across the following reference in a War Diary "Pte. Beresford, 25th Royal Fusiliers, accidentally shot dead in the head Pte. du Plessis, Belfield’s Scouts, while cleaning his automatic pistol.".

Thanks again

Steve

That has got to be a private one, possibly a German trophy? That might also explain the unfamiliarity with the weapon that caused him to have a negligent discharge.

Regards

TonyE

No. Whether they were in Africa or anywhere else, the above still applies.

Regards

TonyE

Pistols were a private purchase at the beginning of the war. The only consideration was that the weapon should fire standard .455 service ammo. This did not mean the officer couldn't take to war any pistol of any calibre. It was his choice. Douglas Haig wore an auto. I am not sure but I think it wasn't in service calibre. Mind you the use of enemy autos was common so I guess, again it rules out the use of service ammo (9mm?). Therefore, I cannot see why an infantry officer was not carrying his own automatic pistol. Things were a lot more 'less regimented' in those days in such matters.

With regard to other ranks (discounting senior ncos, machine gunners etc), carrying a pistol of any sort, surely that is why he was issued an SMLE. So no he didn't

Of course officers carried a wide range of privately purchased pistols, including all manner of self loaders. Haig carried a Webley & Scott Model 1910 .38 Auto calibre and Churchill favoured a Colt .45ACP Government model.

However, in this case both men were rankers so it is most likely to have been a captured pistol. As for calibre, I agree it would most likely have been 9mm (if German), but it could also have been 7.65mm (or any other)

Regards

TonyE