Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Africa

Sue Light

Sorry if this is a dim question - I have a feeling it might be! I've been having a browse through the 1911 census, and there still seem to have been a number of British military stations in South Africa, judging by the number of military nurses stationed at hospitals there. However, by 1921, all the British nurses had gone from South Africa, although they were, by then, in places they'd never been pre-war. So how large was the British military presence in South Africa immediately pre-war, and when did it end?

Sue

Act of Union 1910 so thats the catalyst for withdrawal although we still had garrisons there up to WW1, notably the RGA protecting the harbours etc.

Roop

Thank you - it does seem to fit in with the hospital situation in 1911 - a few scattered around of varying sizes. I imagine that it was a popular posting, and probably some regret that it ended with the war (popular with the nurses that is!).

Sue

Sue, it didnt end with the war, probably different nurses though. There were lots of hospitals in Cape Town and Durban and was very popular with recuperating soldiers as the social scene was quite something.

Roop

Yes, different nurses - I meant to say that it was the end for the British QAIMNS nurses who had been there for quite a few years in the British military hospitals - one of their better postings removed for ever.

Sue

• 1 month later...

" Two years after the Union of the four crown colonies in South Africa a far-reaching re-organization of the national military establishment was effected by the promulgation of the South African Defence Act of june, 1912. The bill, which was piloted through parliament by General JC Smuts, Minister of Defence in the first Botha cabinet, consolidated the military forces of the previous Colonial Governments within the Union Defence Force,...."

Light Horse Cavalcade, harry klein, p.62.

Might have something to do with it!

• 5 months later...

In August 1914 there were a number of British infantry battalions stationed in South Africa. After the war began the Union of South Africa took responsibility for its own defence, therefore the British Garrision was withdrawn. By the end of August the 2nd Queens (Royal West Surrey Regiment), the 2nd Bedfordshires and the 1st South Staffordshires had all sailed for England joining the 7th Division.

I believe the last battalion to leave South Africa was the 2nd East Lancashires who sailed for England on 1st October 1914.

Best Regards

Mark