Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LSGC Registers

Stephen Nulty

I now have all of the Long Service & Good Conduct Registers downloaded from NA. They are ordered by regiment/year and I am happy to do "look ups" if anybody is interested

I hope you know what you are letting yourself in for!!

I would be grateful for the following if possible:~

CQMS/{later QM Lt} J W J Frost Northamptonshire Rgt

Pte Leonard Saines 1/Northamptonshire Regt.

Sergt Saddle~Tree Maker H.W.Adcock 10th Hussars

TiA HB.

These are lists of men who were awarded the LSGC medal simply by the year in which they were awarded. Apart from name, rank and number, they carry no further details.

I have a hard-copy of the Northamptons list, which I think is about 30 men.

Steve.

The year of award would be helpful ? please....

I hope you know what you are letting yourself in for!!

I would be grateful for the following if possible:~

CQMS/{later QM Lt} J W J Frost Northamptonshire Rgt

Pte Leonard Saines 1/Northamptonshire Regt.

Sergt Saddle~Tree Maker H.W.Adcock 10th Hussars

TiA HB.

3/10543 CSM J Frost is listed as 1918, but I can't locate the others. if you PM me an email address, I'll send you the relevant sections and you can check them again, in case I'm missing something

As Stevie says, these are just register entries (see below), so there's little or no detail associated with them.

post-1356-1259245825.jpg

Cheers, Des, I love you too.

:D

The end date of the LSGC registers is 1919 - Leonard Saines' LSGC would be after that I would think.

Steve.

Caryl

Listed under East Yorks for 1917....

Sorry, I've missed out his rank. He was listed as CSM

post-1356-1259251036.jpg

Stephen,

A very kind offer. If I may, could I ask you to look up:

L/13670 Sgt. NH Graham, Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regt.

If he doesn't appear on that list he could possibly be on the Liverpool Regt. list as he served with them as a Sgt. with two service numbers - 86010 & 53221 King's Liverpool Regt.

Many thanks,

Ken

Hi Stephen

Could you look for a Lieut E C Cooper 81st Bty Royal Field Artillery ( Ernest Charles ) for me.

Best Regards Doug

Stephen,

I'm not sure what exactly is in the LSGC roll, but I'd be interested in my Great Gret Uncle:

29085 Amos John HOLE 3rd (King's Own) Hussars. LSGC+Gratuity 10th April 1918.

He also held the India Medal with Tirah & Punjap Clasps, 1897-98 and the QSA and three clasps.

Oh, plus BWM & VM. He actually was sent to France with the BEF on 24 September 1918 at the age of 43 !

LSGC not a surprise then.....

Malcolm

Stephen,

I wonder if you could look for my GF - Edward Levingston - probably 19th Hussars

Sorry, Ian, nothing for him in 19th Hussars

Stephen,

A very kind offer. If I may, could I ask you to look up:

L/13670 Sgt. NH Graham, Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regt.

If he doesn't appear on that list he could possibly be on the Liverpool Regt. list as he served with them as a Sgt. with two service numbers - 86010 & 53221 King's Liverpool Regt.

Many thanks,

Ken

Ken

Found him as below in the Liverpool pages, but nothing on the RWS pages, to which the Liverpool entry refers !!

post-1356-1259309179.jpg

Hi Stephen

Could you look for a Lieut E C Cooper 81st Bty Royal Field Artillery ( Ernest Charles ) for me.

Best Regards Doug

Doug

Sorry, there don't appear to be any entries at all for Artillery regiments

29085 Amos John HOLE 3rd (King's Own) Hussars. LSGC+Gratuity 10th April 1918.

Malcolm

Can't see him, I'm afraid. Just four men listed for 1918; Ellison, Elleray, Mills and Townsend

Malcolm

Can't see him, I'm afraid. Just four men listed for 1918; Ellison, Elleray, Mills and Townsend

Thanks for looking. I wonder why he is not listed ? His service record has a clear statement of the award:

Malcolm

post-51527-1259311788.jpg

Malcolm

Have sent you a PM about this

Ken

The headings are Date of Recommendation" and "No. of Paper".

• 5 months later...

Stephen,

a bit of a long shot request if you'd entertain it. I'm looking for information on a long-serving soldier who emigrated to Canada, served in WW1 and died in 1919.

He was in full, James Graham GRAHAM - though it's possible the second forename might be dropped. Born 1864, and on reenlisting in 1915 he claimed to have served 26 or 27 years with the Imperial Forces, rising to QM Sergt.

He gives his unit as "2nd RMF" which would usually indicate the R.Munster Fus., but being Welsh born it might be an error for 2nd RWF. Any other unit which springs to mind?!

On the assumption he joined the Army aged 18 that would mean a start date of c1882, and the earliest he could have received an LSGC 18 years later - c1900. He was certainly out of the Army by 1907 when he emigrated, and that's rather cutting it fine for 26+ years unless he did some Boy service before 1882 (but I don't think that qualifies towards LSGC).

Anyway, is there anything you can do along these lines please?

LST_164

Hi Stephen,

I am wondering if you might be willing to look up an award of an LSGC for me. I have the 1914/15 trio with LSGC named to...

5166 Pte. James Kidd, 2nd Cameron Highlanders. He joined in 1900, and was discharged in 1921.

I would be most greatful for your time.

Thankyou,

Owain.