Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ww1 veteran

moechuk

I would appreciate getting the service and medical records of my father. He served in the British Army from 1914 to 1918, wounded in left hip at Ypres by a sniper, sent to England to recover, when he recovered he was sent to Northern Ireland. His birth date was June 1, 1895, his regt # 12527. Any assistance would be appreciated.

John Greenfield

Was he Cyril (Bernard) Greenfield of the Lincolnshire Regiment - railway porter at time of enlistment - father - John - Hillgarth House, Ulceby, Lincs

If so he has a number of "burnt" pages on Ancestry - presume you don't have access yourself - maybe you could check if your local library offers access - otherwise possibly sign up for a free 14 day trial - just make sure you cancel it before your time is up unless you want to carry it on

Cheers

Sue

Jacky - John won't be able to send or receive PM's until he has made 10 posts - the main reason at this stage that I suggested he might like to look at the pages himself - not to mention the "thrill" of finding them himself

However he gets them - hopefully he'll be able to learn something from them

Cheers

Sue

Was he Cyril (Bernard) Greenfield of the Lincolnshire Regiment - railway porter at time of enlistment - father - John - Hillgarth House, Ulceby, Lincs

If so he has a number of "burnt" pages on Ancestry - presume you don't have access yourself - maybe you could check if your local library offers access - otherwise possibly sign up for a free 14 day trial - just make sure you cancel it before your time is up unless you want to carry it on

Cheers

Sue

Sue, thank you for the info, that is him I am sure.

QUOTE (jacky-b @ Nov 26 2009, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi

If that is him I can look up the papers on ancestry for you. Send me a PM if so.

Jacky

Jacky, thank you also for the offer.

Cheers

Sue

Sue, that is my Father, thank you.There are over 200 Greenfields on Ancestry but I am leery of them because I can not confirm which is the one I want them to check on.

Hi

Once you have made your ten posts feel free to contact me if you wish to take me up on my offer. On the other hand, if you would rather do as Sue says and join ancestry to find them yourself that's OK.

Jacky

John - there is only one Cyril Greenfield (on UK Ancestry) - he comes up with 2 entries under - British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920 - but they cover the same pages. His medal card is the only one under - British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920 and he is the only one who comes up on the 1901 census - though they have his middle initial transcribed wrongly

If you are leery about joining Ancestry - my first suggestion was to check if your library offered access - many around the world do for free and you can print out the pages or save them to a portable drive - otherwise as Jackie says post some more then take up her kind offer

Cheers

Sue

I would appreciate getting the service and medical records of my father. He served in the British Army from 1914 to 1918, wounded in left hip at Ypres by a sniper, sent to England to recover, when he recovered he was sent to Northern Ireland. His birth date was June 1, 1895, his regt # 12527. Any assistance would be appreciated.

John Greenfield

John

I have tried to PM you.

Will dig all the papers out and add some info I have on Cyril and if you email me your email, I will stick them in a folder and bung off to you.

Looks like he was a 1st Battalion lad with a January 1915 entry to theatre of war date.

There are plenty of Greenfield's to have a go at around here.

Dick