Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Territorial Force Efficiency Medal qualification

Stebie9173

Having looked at a few Territorials of late I was set to wondering what the method of actually calculating the TFEM eligibilty was:

An out and out yearly method seems a little "crude" to me, so I assume that the qualification may be 12 x 365 days = 4,380 days rather than 12 "years". Does anyone have a definitive answer from A.O.'s or the like?

Looking at the daily method, I assume that the "War bonus" kicks in at the date of Embodiment, but does the "bonus" end at the date of the war, i.e. 11-11-1918, or at the date of the man's disembodiment?

Both examples are below, and are from a man I know was entitled to the TFEM (enlisted 13-11-1911, embodied 5-8-1914 and discharged 28-10-1919). My feeling is that once embodied a man was on "war footing" until disembodied. Does anyone agree/disagree?

post-6536-1259093602.jpg

Steve.

As far as the yearly method is concerned there are quite a few more possible variables to what constituted a year of qualification? Was it at anniversary of enlistment, would a year count if partially served or did it have to be a full year, when did the "bonus year" check finish - at the end of the war, or at disembodiment?

Below I have assumed that it is at anniversary of enlistment, and that was the criteria for the bonus year also.

post-6536-1259094526.jpg

The more I look at this one, the less I like its unwieldiness...

Steve.

Steve

Looking at numerous examples of 5th London men; seems to be consistency in calculating their length of service ie number of days between dates of embodiment and disembodiment - presumably to finalise their pay. Have looked at dozens of files over the years where also noted that service between attestation and mobilisation did not count towards service. Chris

Steve, from what I've read your interpretation is correct; it is daily service until disembodied. Below is information from the relevant AO, but I recommend you take up Grumpy’s offer.

Army Order 326: November 1918

Service for those embodied under Army Order 281 of 1914 could count their time as double. This was including any time they had served in the Royal Navy, regular Army, RAF or commissioned; providing the re-enlisted in the TF after that service.

There was not a provision for backdating that clause nor were posthumous awards mentioned. So if the territorial soldier had died before that Order came into effect then their time as served presumably was the calculation and they needed to have served 12 years of actual service.