Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lewis House - 26th October 1917

Paul Johnson

G/15354 Lance Corporal Wilfred SMITH. 2nd Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment

Killed In Action on the 26th October 1917.

War Diary indicates that Battalion were assaulting Lewis House. Can anyone please tell me where Lewis House is located?

Additionally, it also appears that all the officers and NCO's had become casualties and the attack was "disorganised". It suggests that troops converged on each other and casulties were high. Can anyone confirm/dispute that acts of "friendly fire" may have taken place. It does not state this in the War Diary but there appears to be some inference.

Thank You

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

Hello,

The place is to the East of Gheluvelt (Geluveld), South of the Menin Road. It was a real hell out there, because there were were only a few places where the ground was dry enough to make an attack possible. Of Course all attacking formations tried to use these places. Because the main German resistance came from the Lewis House area everyone tried attacking it, making it for the Germans pretty easy to deal with the attackers.

Jan

yes, Lewis house certainly seems to have been a bit difficult...one map shows 6 concrete mg posts within a hundred metres of the farmhouse, so it was quite a strongpoint. The German third line position (Warneton Line on some maps) ran between this and Tower Hamlets. If Lewis House isn't marked on map you'll see a house at map ref 21 d 1.4. Hope this helps.

As for friendly fire....a very common occurence, more than many histories admit?

Thank you gentlemen for your help and advice.

It seems that these troops may have fired on each other but I wanted to be sure of my facts before putting pen to paper.

Your assistance is very much appreciatred.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

• 14 years later...

On 04/05/2004 at 08:22, mebu said:

If Lewis House isn't marked on map you'll see a house at map ref 21 d 1.4.

Hello

Pardon the resurrection of this thread but I have also got an interest in Lewis House and seek some more geographical direction!

I understand my wife's 2nd cousin 5910 Arthur Ernest Badcock (1890-1918) 13th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment was wounded in the vicinity of Tower Hamlet (not identified) on the 4 Nov 1917. Sadly he later died in the 2nd General Hospital in Brighton on 12 Mar 1918. 

The 13th Bn war diary for the 3rd Nov shows them bussing to Shrapnel Corner (identified) just south of the Lille Gate (identified) in Ypres then conducting a route march to relieve 1 Cambs Regt.

On the 4th the diary reports 'MG Fire and snipers very active from Gheluvelt (identified), Lewis House (not identified) and Lone Tree dugout (apparently not marked on map).

I'm assuming Arthur was wounded by fire from one of these locations.

Can I ask which trench map Lewis House and Tower Hamlet appear on and can a trench map grid be confirmed?  I cant seem to find a House on the 30 Jun 17 version at the grid identified?

many thanks

1 20 000 Edn 6A 30 Jun 1917.PNG

Cross checking against 1 Cambridgeshire (who were in the same neck of the woods and who have a map in their diary) look at1 Oct 1917  28 NE J 21 c for Tower Hamlets and J 21 d for Lewis House.  You will be looking just to the west of Gheluvelt.

Max

Edited by MaxD

Nice one Max, many thanks

Target Stop!  As we say in the Armoured Corps.  Great spotting Max!!

Tower Hamlets and Lewis House Location.PNG

Edited by Blue Dragoon

You are most welcome fellow Plain dweller.  Well worth looking at the message map in 1 Cambs diary which shows just how many dugouts there were in the J 21 - J 27 area, none named.  Other diaries including the Gunner diaries note much activity against "the dugouts" particularly in J 21 d but Lone Tree looks as if it was a R Sussex hookum.

Max

Thanks Max will take a look.  I'm in 'The Heart of Salisbury Plain' at the live fire sharp end!

Arthur Ernest Badcock - Wounded 4 Nov 1917 Tower Hamlet Ypres Salient.jpg