Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Old Contemptables

qahtan

The term 'Old Contemptibles' refers to the men of the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) at the outbreak of war in August 1914. The term comes from the reports that Kaiser Wilhelm referred to Britain and it's

'contemptible little army', adopted by the men as a badge of pride, and regarded as an honour after the end of the war to be referred to an 'Old Contemptible'.

To defeat the central powers?.To liberate Belgium?.To defend the Empire?

Sorry,I'm not being funny,but could you be a bit more specific,please? (The "Old Contemptables" was a nick-name derived from the Kaiser for the regular army of 1914)

Dave.

Yes, you have answered my question, to liberate Belgium.

But now I have another question. I thought the Old Contemptables ,were in fact that

‘Contemptable little band of men’ that went into the battle first.

I do have my Fathers Old Contempables Association member card also his lapel pin, on which gives Aug 5 to Nov 22.

It’s within these two dates that I would like to know where they fought. Thanks qahtan

gahtan

Go to www.1914-1918.net

Click on "Hell Revisited"

Click on "Western Front"

Pan down to the list of battles

Read Battle of Mons, Battle of Le Cateau, Battle of the Marne, Battle of the Aisne, Defence of Antwerp, Battles of La Bassee, Messines and Ypres. That is what they did and where they were.

Get Mons: Retreat To Victory by John Terraine, I cannot believe you will find something comparable on the web, this will have a lot more facts plut he's a very respected historian.