Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

new bodies have been found ....Beaucamp ligny

gilles

HI Norman

Just read the letter you received today at 4-00 pm, I was taken back as only yesterday I spoke to Sue Raftree and nothing was mentioned about the letter at all ,she told me the internment after the D N A tests,

Would be the centenary October 2014,

This is why I have not made any comments lately because the right hand will not even talk to the left hand , There was no way I was going to be spot balled in any way with the rumors that were floating about .

Even now I still will not believe until I get a D N A tester myself , the shower are looking after them self's not the 15 BL 4 years in a card board box without a doubt? (whitch )or which wants to take the glory over this

Still in doubt

Frank

Hi Frank I understand your concerns but the letter to Lord Faulkner does seem to be explicit in that the available techniques will be used where possible to identify the men. The fact is however that now the MOD have conceded that DNA profiling is an important tool in cases such as this then I would expect other cases to be given the same treatment when the circumstances allow it and I sincerely believe that it is this aspect which is of concern to the MOD resulting in the complete lack of transparency coming from them. There is another thread on the forum from Chris Lock our member in Ypres who expresses concern at the small number of interments of the fallen being seen in the last few years. This should be of concern to us for as I have already reported to the best of my knowledge there could be as many as 50 individual cases still outstanding in respect of finds made during the period 2008-2012 so there is still a way to go on this aspect of the subject although we should be very pleased that the BL-15 are to receive the treatment that they so richly deserve.

Best Wishes

Norman

I have read the letter to Lord Faulkner again (and again) and it strikes me that the last paragraph could be construed as referring to the other human remains held by the CWGC and not the BL-15. I of course do not know what Lord Faulkner actually asked the MOD and I could be misunderstanding this aspect of the reply. Since this whole sad saga is dotted with truths, half-truths and downright total confusion on the part of the authorities I will ask Lord Faulkner for clarification of that part of the letter. This does in no way alter the fact that the BL-15 are to be treated properly of course..

Norman :closedeyes:

HI Norman

Have made other enquiries It seems to me that the letter is wrong and that it is the JCCC and the Regiment are to make the decision on this matter so I for one ,

Will ignore that this is of the 15 BL , The tests have not been completed yet even though its been nearly four years.

At the present moment the decision will be made by the Regiment and JCCC,

It will be at least nine weeks before any information comes to light ,

Frank

Hi Frank the letter sent to Lord Faulkner is the only official confirmation so far of the actions that the MOD is intending to take in an attempt to identify the BL-15, everything else is hearsay. I have detailed my one concern with the letter already and hopefully clarification will be forthcoming eventually. If the last paragraph does refer to the remainder of the human remains at present in the custody of the CWGC excluding the BL-15 then that will open up a whole new “can of worms” which I will continue on another thread.

Best Wishes

Norman

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Just to keep you informed that the D.N.A has been done on my family ie John Roebuck only male our side we have been told that it would be about six to twelve months.

Seems a long time ,but we have waited this long, and now its on the go!!!!!

Frank

Good news Frank although the time-scale is somewhat disappointing in my opinion if it does take yet another year to come to some sort of conclusion. Have you any information as to whether it has proved possible to extract DNA samples from all of the remains found in 2009?.

Regards

Norman

Is the planned burial for June 2013 still going ahead.

Regards

Gerry

The planned Burial is for October 18 2014 onehundred years of there death's .

But we the family are still keeping our fingers crossed that Larrett his one of them,????

Regards

Frank

Thanks for the info Frank.

I wish you the best of good luck

G

Thanks for that we will need some luck !, will keep you all informed as soon as I get to know anythink at all

Our luck has to change ( we hope ) l will keep on to Sue Raftree

Cheers

Frank

For Larrett our grandad,!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

A very interesting article in the current “Britain at War” magazine concerning the recovery of the remains of Australian Army war casualties from which I quote the following as detailed in the article.

“The Unrecovered War Casualties – Army (UWC-A) is the Australian Army Unit that scours the old battlefields of Asia, Europe and the Pacific with the sole purpose of recovering, identifying and providing a fitting interment in a military cemetery for long-lost servicemen. Their work achieves when successful, a closure that is not only very important to relatives and friends, but to the nation as a whole.

The present UWC-A team consists of three full-time staff members ; Brian Manns, the Manager and two investigation case managers, Alan Cooper for Europe and Ms Dale Morley for Asia-Pacific. There is also a team of nine Army Reserve Officers, who undertake the roles of investigator and researcher, and a forensic osteologist (who is involved in the study of bones). In addition, and when required, the UWC-A employs additional Reserve officers from all branches of the armed forces who have the appropriate skills such as physical anthropology, odontology and archaeology, the unit can also call upon Army Reserve pathologists as required”

Compare this with our own MOD unit who are so badly staffed and resourced that at this time 75 individual sets of human remains (CWGC figure) are in the custodianship of the CWGC awaiting the JCCC unit of the MOD to complete their investigations (if any) before they are given a decent burial. Members will be aware that in the above figure is included the BL-15 found 2009 and intended to be buried in 2014 a full five years after their discovery. Note also how the details of the UWC-A unit are freely available which is the opposite of the secrecy and total lack of transparency shown by the British equivalent.

Thanks to Britain at War magazine for yet another excellent article from which the above quote is but a small part.

Regards

Norman

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks Peter for spotting and posting the story link. The first time this has made the national press and hopefully more will follow. Fingers crossed for a positive result.

Norman

Hello Norman

Have got the article , this was the one that tryed to contact me when i was in hospital ,I' am pleased that it finaly made it to the press,

At least there is more than me pushing for the BL 15 our family his meeting next week ,in Worthing on Sea this time I have contacted Sue Raftree ,I am waiting a reply from Her

Frank

Hi Frank, nice to hear from you. At one time you must have thought that you were a "voice in the wilderness" but now the national press has got hold of the story and with interest in the build-up to the 100th Commemorations in 2014 I very much hope that this story will run and that further articles will be forthcoming.

Regards

Norman

Archaeologists uncovered partial skeletal remains of 15 soldiers .............

The commission managed to track down Private Thompson's closest living relative .........

Hmmm - a parallel universe seems to be operating here but, then again, facts have never been an obstacle to the publication of articles by the Daily Blackshirt.

Mel, I have a feeling that such statements are not necessarily the result of sloppy journalism but are down to the almost total reluctance of the MOD to place in the public domain news of such discoveries like the BL-15 plus an almost impenetrable wall of silence and secrecy around the activities of those in the JCCC tasked with investigating such finds. Because the CWGC has such a high public profile it comes as no surprise to me that most people including I bet a lot of the members of this forum associate the task of investigating the human remains for any evidence of identification with them (CWGC) and not the MOD. In my opinion credit is due to the Daily Mail for picking up this story when since 2009 no other UK national newspaper has done so. Although admittedly on a far larger scale compare this with the coverage of the Fromelles discoveries in all the UK media.

Norman

Added: I like the comment by a reader on the article that the JCCC has TWO ladies undertaking the historic investigations compare this with the Australian situation.(Post 437)

• 1 month later...

Hi Frank, just saying hello and trusting that you are well. I know that you would have posted any update to the progress of the identification process so I assume that all is quiet on that front.

Regards

Norman

Hi Norman: As you remark everythink are very quiet on the (Western Front) if I can use the frase,

Have wrote to the powers at :B:, I should be very patient ,thing don't go very fast!! on that front,

We have had another meeting of the Family, this time a weekend in Worthing-on -Sea ,we picked the weekend before the Summer started ?

very cold and windy.

Any more news will be in touch

Frank

Thanks Frank, good to hear from you and looking forward to any news of progress.Have you been contacted by any of the other possble relatives of the soldiers, I bet it would be interesting to hear their feelings on this matter.

Best Wishes

Norman

PS It absolutely boiling here in Bristol today but the forecast is for cooler weather from tomorrow!

• 2 weeks later...

This article appeared today in the local West Yorks section of the BBC.

5 men of the 2nd Battalion the York and Lancaster Regiment.

The relatives of five World War I soldiers whose remains were found in northern France are being sought.

Pte John William Taylor, Lt/Sgt George Edwardes, Pte David Wilson Williams, Pte Henry William Parker and Pte Ross Jeff died in battle in October 1914 near Beaucamps-Ligny.

Their remains were found in 2009 while construction work was being carried out in the area.

Full Story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-23554309

Mick.

This article appeared today in the local West Yorks section of the BBC.

5 men of the 2nd Battalion the York and Lancaster Regiment.

Full Story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-23554309

Mick.

You got my hopes up there into believing we had some confirmed ID's, but looking at the BBC article and then reading the recent posts on this thread where people have been asked to provide DNA, I believe the MoD are actually trying to get relatives to come forward to help with their ID efforts and identities have not yet been confirmed. KH

Hi Mick / Norman

Its moving now there is a long way to go yet , if they are looking for family's as i said it could be another few months yet .

We are keeping our fingers crossed for our grandad . Wednesday I received a e/mail from Sheffield 'Star ' to up date them but I had not got any further news than

a meeting was possible at end of the year, in Sheffield!

Frank

(Larrett)

You got my hopes up there into believing we had some confirmed ID's, but looking at the BBC article and then reading the recent posts on this thread where people have been asked to provide DNA, I believe the MoD are actually trying to get relatives to come forward to help with their ID efforts and identities have not yet been confirmed. KH

Bit of digging confirms above. Sue Raftree of JCCC interviewed on BBC Radio Sheffield this morning. Available via website (Listen again feature) Georgey Spanswick Breakfast Show around 1hr 20 mins in (8.20 am) http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p01cf88v Kevin