Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt S L Vincent

bmac

Still awaiting settlement of the burial issues.

He has been accepted but the case has not yet completed the formalities of grave inspection and then any legal processes required for a headstone. That can take years in some cases!

I'll try to get the latest update.

OK will do. By the way I see they have no age. He was born in 1890 in Loughton, Essex. I will check my files to see if there is a date and/or parents.

Well the first relative contacted is delighted by the news and I have asked for any additional information that might expand the listing.

Terry,

The additional details on Capt Vincent are that his parents were William Vincent & Mary Pither. They ran Loughton School in Loughton Essex. Seymour was an assistant master here before the war. Born 1890. I believe his line of the family died with him (he was unmarried) and the information comes from a cousin, Margaret Robbins (the Pither side of the family, I think). Is there some way we can go about getting this additional information on the CWGC entry?

This from British History online:

Secondary education for boys (in Loughton) was provided after 1902 by means of scholarships to Loughton school, a private school then run by William Vincent. Since 1938 Loughton boys have gone to Buckhurst Hill County High School (see Chigwell).... Loughton School was opened in 1890 under the name of St. John's College, Loughton. Soon after its foundation the school was acquired by William Vincent, who remained owner and headmaster until his retirement in 1924.

I have an article from the The war illustrated album de luxe vol 9 , about the Kensingtons. It has a group pic of the officers including 2nd Lt S L Vincent.

If anyone would like a copy please contact me

Norwood

Bill

CWGC is no longer adding NoK info at will. They are now reverting to their original policy (which was never officially terminated) of only adding substantial info at the request of close relatives. Also, confirming documentation has to be provided.

As Nok are involved here this may be possible.

Birth certificates are only of any use if they prove that the person is the same one that died! In most cases they do not do that - unless there is other connecting evidence. Details from service papers are better. An obituary can help.

A close relative is usually a parent, child, sibling, spouse - or any 'grand' versions of those relationships. However, others can come into play in various circumstances. It is not set in stone.

It is so long ago now that I have forgotten exactly what was in the surving service papers.

The copies of the papers I have concentrated on the abduction and murder by the IRA so I don't know what else of a personal nature there is. At some point in the next few months I am due a trip to the NA and I will try to remember to have a look. There is, AFAIK, no immediate family as I believe he was an only child who died without issue. I will see what else I can find.

Also, Kensington article and photo passed on to family and much appreciated.

• 1 year later...

I am trying to put together his life at the moment

Notes on this link - click

I would be grateful if anyone can add to or correct what I have. Vincent's case is perhaps the strangest of the deaths of British soldiers that I have looked at.

1. I can find nothing in the press about his disappearance, nor ca I find anything in IRA sources

2. He is not on the list of missing officers put out by the British government at the Truce

3. I cannot find a MIC

4. His CWGC citation reads "Capt" when the Gazette clearly has him a Lt. He was even gazetted out shortly after his death as a Lt

5. He did register as a teacher in 1921 (came through after his death) and that has details of him teaching in 1919 to 1921, when he was clearly still in the army

My feeling is that he was Intelligence - all the hallmarks are there, which always makes it difficult to trace