The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Location of the 170 Siege Battery RGA June 1918

stevepom

Can anyone help my wife and I find out where the 170 Siege Battery were in June 1918. Gunner Newton (Val's Paternal Grandfather) was awarded the DCM (gazzetted 3 September 1918) for rescuing 2 buried men from a machine gun post, whilst under heavy fire. We believe that the men he rescued may have been Canadian. Any thoughts appreciated, Steve and Val.

I have a copy of a hand-written manuscript entitled "Short History of 170th Siege Battery, RGA."

It indicates that from April through July 1918 the Battery was in the "Albert Sector" with positions at Mailly-Mailly, Beaussart, Hedauville and Englebelmest.

The manuscript has a nominal roll that lists "136357 Gnr. Newton, G. E., Awarded DCM for Bravery in the Field on 5 June 1918. Demobilized 16 April 1919. Long Service."

On 5 June 1918 the Battery was serving under the 35th Brigade, RGA.

Dick, thank you so much for your response. That information is very useful. We even got the weather (fine and warm) for the day (a Wednesday) in question !! Could we ask when the 170th was formed, and do you have any info about batteries that might have been casualty depleted, and then amalgamated into the 170th (we dont think he started his time in this particular battery). Also, have you any idea what the Long Service would have meant? Might that indicate that he was in from the early days? Any info or direction much appreciated.. Have attached an image taken of the Signals 170 Siege Battery RGA (Gunner Newton is standing in the back row third from the right). Thanks again, Steve & Val.

post-1-1083959201.gif