Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of the 170 Siege Battery RGA June 1918

stevepom

Can anyone help my wife and I find out where the 170 Siege Battery were in June 1918. Gunner Newton (Val's Paternal Grandfather) was awarded the DCM (gazzetted 3 September 1918) for rescuing 2 buried men from a machine gun post, whilst under heavy fire. We believe that the men he rescued may have been Canadian. Any thoughts appreciated, Steve and Val.

I have a copy of a hand-written manuscript entitled "Short History of 170th Siege Battery, RGA."

It indicates that from April through July 1918 the Battery was in the "Albert Sector" with positions at Mailly-Mailly, Beaussart, Hedauville and Englebelmest.

The manuscript has a nominal roll that lists "136357 Gnr. Newton, G. E., Awarded DCM for Bravery in the Field on 5 June 1918. Demobilized 16 April 1919. Long Service."

On 5 June 1918 the Battery was serving under the 35th Brigade, RGA.

Dick, thank you so much for your response. That information is very useful. We even got the weather (fine and warm) for the day (a Wednesday) in question !! Could we ask when the 170th was formed, and do you have any info about batteries that might have been casualty depleted, and then amalgamated into the 170th (we dont think he started his time in this particular battery). Also, have you any idea what the Long Service would have meant? Might that indicate that he was in from the early days? Any info or direction much appreciated.. Have attached an image taken of the Signals 170 Siege Battery RGA (Gunner Newton is standing in the back row third from the right). Thanks again, Steve & Val.

post-1-1083959201.gif

• 19 years later...

Hello @rflory Dick

I am trying to trace my Grandfather Gunner Ivan D Matthews who I believe served with 170 Battery RGA. His regimental number was 121033. Is there any way I could get a copy of the manuscript or you could take a look for me? Either way I'd love to get a copy of the manuscript. Where did you manage to get it from?

Kind regards and thanks in advance

Nick

Welcome Nick to the forum,

are you confusing the reference 170B 6981 on his MiC as meaning 170 Battery?

It is only the reference to his medal roll entry page which indicates he was with 86 Brigade RGA. 170B is the roll and 6981 the page.

Rgds Paul

Thanks Paul - that is highly likely as I'm a beginner at this!

Attaching what I have....

I am interested in if and when he went to france and what battery he was with so I could track where he went and when

Any help you could give would be gratefully received :-)

Nick

ivan mil record.png

Nick,

attached the image from the roll page that the MiC points to showing he served in 86 Brigade.

You require the 86 Brigade RGA war diary which is free to download from the National Archives website; their internal ref: WO95/325/7

Rgds Paul

Matthews Ivan.jpg

Hi Paul

Thanks so much - I appreciate it. I've downloaded that one.

Looks like 1/1 Wessex were part of that brigade which makes sense as we're from Dorset.

I looked for that war diary on the NA site and couldn't see it (unless I'm being stupid!)

I see in your reply here below you might have a copy and mention the ORs names being mentioned?

Thanks again

Nick

@Nickm

Most war diaries have scanty details about ORs, unless they won gallantry awards or died in service.

You say that your man was in 1/1 Wessex HB.
As you can see from the image in the post from 2010, details of  battery's movementsd during the war are documented in WO95/5494.
There would be frequent movements from one brigade to the next, and all these are usually listed. Hopefully 86 Brigade RGA  should be in that list, probably including the day of the armistice.
You will then need to download the diaries for those brigades, which will give you their (and thus his) location.
At least then you will be able to create his timeline and plot his journey through France and/or Flanders.

You never know, he might be listed in one, although that is pretty unlikely.