Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Service Numbers

Martin B

I am currently researching the role of the 10th Hussars during the 'emergency' in Ireland (1919 - 1922). The regiment sustained six fatal casualties during its deployment. Five of these six men have six digit army numbers commencing 53. The sixth man has a seven digit number commencing 2689. Can anyone explain the army numbering system to me ?

Martin,

I do not believe anyone knows the army numbering system, mainly because it was never that, army-wide. Most of the time it was a battalion numbering system, even for battalions of the same regiment. Hence in WW1 you can find numerous men with the number '1':

depending upon where the regular battalions had got to with their numbers they may have started all over again with '1'; each TF battalion started from '1' in 1908 (as usual, with exceptions, viz Staffordshire Regts) and some were still serving; Pals battalions usually started from '1' and there could be whole brigades of them. So, even with infantry units it was a crazy hotch-potch system. I know next to nothing about the cavalry.

Sorry,

Rob

Hi was there any logic to the service/regimental number for members of the R.G.A. My grandfather had pre WWI service (Artillery in India), called up to the coastal artillery and then joined 7th Siege Battery on 2nd October 1914

his number was 20729. any thoughts.

Thanks

Terry