Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Sean Thornton

Convalesing at Watford 1918/1919

Sean Thornton

My uncle Frederick Arthur Tottem (RFA 970563) suffered a foot wound and was discharged as unfit in October 1918.

The family story is that he convalesced in "Watford on the Rothschilds estate". This would, I imagine, have been sometime in 1919.

He was certainly in the Watford area at the time because that's where he met and married his wife (in 1920).

I'm having difficulty finding which of the many Rothschild places may have been given over to a convalescent station.

Can anyone out there point me in the right direction please ?

Thanks

Sean

stuartd

Sir Anthony de Rothschild owned the Aston Clinton house in Buckinghamshire from 1853-1923. I know it's not in Watford itself, but its loosely in the area, but I can't offer any more help than that I'm afraid. I'd imagine, anyway, that Watford was merely a loose point of reference.

chloeflorence

There is also Tring Park, owned by the Banker Lionel Rothschild, where the Rothschild collection of Natural History is held, but no references that I can find of a convalescent station.

Jim