Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officially Re-Impressed naming

keithmroberts

I'm not a medal collector, but have searches on eBay for items connected with the Pals battalions from my home town. Today there is a medal apparently named to a July 1st casualty, an officer in the 18th West Yorks. It includes the above phrase. I have looked at the medal card on Ancestry and in my relative ignorance am no wiser.

Could someone explain this to me please. I have by the way no intention of bidding whatever the explanation. Here's a link to the item: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ME:B:SS:GB:1123

Thanks

Keith

Usualy it means there is a minor error in the naming which has been corrected either at the time the medal was impressed or was returned. If there was a major error the medal would have been scrapped and a new one named and sent out. On EBAY it more likely means that the medal belonged to someone else and has been renamed (not by any official means, been caught more than once) reducing the value considerably. In this case I would not like to comment without better pics of the naming. An officer 1 July Somme casualty is worth a lot if genuine.

I did wonder whether it might cast doubt on the authenticity of the medal. The MIC does not seem to my fairly inexperienced eye to suggest that it had been returned at any stage.

Thanks

Keith

Keith,

Just had a look at the naming of the medal, and to be honest, it doesn't look too bad.

The edge does have a rounded look to it, but the lettering looks as though it is the official impressed style.

Saying all that, without much better photo's to confirm, I wouldn't be bidding on it either. As was already mentioned, these are worth a fair wad of cash.

It may well be the real deal, but the risk is just not worth it.

Cheers Andy.

If someone describes a medal as 'officially re-impressed' on E-Bay and it is just renamed, then that is misrepresentation and you'd be entitled to your money back. No more than a letter or two should be officially re-impressed.

The naming looked OK to me. I asked the vendor why he thought it re-impressed and he said:-

"Hello there,

Thank you for your question.

I personally believe that it is correctly impressed, but I had a colleague look at the rim & he thinks it may be officially reimpressed.

Neither of us are experts, so I have ventured on the safe side with the description & price.

I hope this helps."

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Nov 20 2009, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Hello there,

Thank you for your question.

I personally believe that it is correctly impressed, but I had a colleague look at the rim & he thinks it may be officially reimpressed.

Neither of us are experts, so I have ventured on the safe side with the description & price.

I hope this helps."

:rolleyes: , the blind leading the blind...

Medallically re~impressed per se; would mean that the original naming was weakly struck & the medal had been just that~"RE~impressed" over the original naming,What this medal is is "Re Named" [ie: the original naming removed & new details impressed or engraved on the newly erased blank;This BWM appears to be well rounded in profile on the edge,the rim band is also very thick & could well be "sleeved" to accomodate the new naming.IMHO I would steer clear of such an item,especially on its own.....

Officially, a medal would normally be,as stated above,only amended by erasing one two or three letters/numbers {with no attempt to disguise them~why would they?}& only re~naming those particular areas

Thank you all. I was never likely to bid as despite my interest in Bradford and WW1 I am not a medal collector, and am far more prone to splash out on printed matter.

The replies show what a minefield medals can be for the innocent types like me. I'll settle for hanging on to my Grandfathers Mutt and Jeff, but I have learned a great deal from the replies.

Keith

What this medal is is "Re Named" [ie: the original naming removed & new details impressed or engraved on the newly erased blank;This BWM appears to be well rounded in profile on the edge,the rim band is also very thick & could well be "sleeved" to accomodate the new naming.

It sounds like you`ve actually seen this medal HB? The naming looks OK to me, as far as one can tell from the photo. The edge has an unusually non-sharp look which might be a photo-effect but could be something else. I`m not sure what you mean by "sleeved" though - it would normally mean extra material put on?

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Nov 22 2009, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It sounds like you`ve actually seen this medal HB? The edge has an unusually non-sharp look..... I`m not sure what you mean by "sleeved" though - ?

a} No I havent seen this particular BWM,but it shows all the signs of being erased & named over,the rim being rounded as opposed to flat{a test with a "square! would soon prove/disprove this} {it could be the photo~but doesnt look like it?} :thumbsup:

b} indeed "Sleeved" would mean a thin collar of silver added to the rim to bring it back to original diameter~not common,but is a known method of forging a medals naming~this medal did look to have a thicker rim edge than "normal" :devilgrin:

The medal has been re-listed, with a more confident description, and now has five bids.

Keith

He has changed his mind about the renaming

This is HIS ORIGINAL ENTITLED & NAMED MEDAL. It is NOT a Copy, a Restrike or Renamed.

PLEASE BID WISELY AS THIS IS A NO RETURNS ACCEPTED ITEM, PRICED TO SELL. IF IN DOUBT, PLEASE DO NOT BID.

And no return.