Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS"Castlebar"

Wesley Wright

5 minutes ago, johnboy said:

The link does not work for me,but here is the pic .

Works for me ?

Get this message

Remembered Today: Sapper Albert John GODFREY, 1st Company, Australian Tunnelling Corps who died on 22nd February 1917, Etaples Military Cemetery

Sorry, there is a problem

We could not locate the item you are trying to view.

Error code: 2G218/1

Contact Us

Thank you Ray Searching.  My grand uncle (my grandfather's brother) was Michael O'Keefe.  He was a fireman on the S.S. Castlebar.  My dad was thrilled to see the photo.  Michael O'Keefe is the second man from the right (standing). Thank you Mr. Bryding for photo and everyone else for all the information.  I am doing a family tree and this is great information.

Regards,

Ann

Edited by annabanana628

Just to note there are 13 crew shown; if a Crawford brother was left behind, then there are 12 casualties listed.... 

So they're all there, just who is who.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there are anymore pictures out there relating to the SS Castlebar? Thanks! Ann

• 11 months later...

Hello Ann and Dankane,

Just browsing and want to let you of a trip to Fanad Head next weekend (11 March, 2018).  There will be a church service at 12.00 in Leatbeg which will mention the crew of SS Castlebar. Some family members of crew attending. We will then visit Fanad Head. It will mark the 100 year anniversary. If interested let me know. Úna

• 5 months later...
On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 18:43, Una said:

Hello Ann and Dankane,

Just browsing and want to let you of a trip to Fanad Head next weekend (11 March, 2018).  There will be a church service at 12.00 in Leatbeg which will mention the crew of SS Castlebar. Some family members of crew attending. We will then visit Fanad Head. It will mark the 100 year anniversary. If interested let me know. Úna

Hello Una, I am sorry I am just seeing this, how nice that the crew of the S.S. Castlebar will be remembered, I am sure it was a beautiful ceremony.. Since finding all this information and my dad seeing the crew picture that was provided that he never knew existed, as well as the Tower Hill Memorial which he also had never known about..(even having visited London many times on his way to Cork) has intrigued him as well as myself.  My hope is that I will be taking a trip from New York to Ireland next year and will definitely make Fanad Head a stop on my trip.  Thanks to this site and all the wonderful people who were willing to share information regarding the S.S. Castlebar, gave my dad whose uncle was aboard that ship, a piece of history and a picture from that history that he would otherwise never have had.  I am hoping he will also make the trip with me.  Thank you Una for letting me know about that service and to all the other members who have provided so much wonderful information!    Ann (O'Keeffe) Reilly

• 4 years later...
On 18/11/2009 at 19:18, Wesley Wright said:

Anyone have information on SS"Catlebar" (Belfast)--Where was she lost?. Unable to find out any information-apart from the 10 men who were lost on 13/03/1918.

Wesley Wright

On 05/01/2015 at 18:03, Guest dankane said:

I also have only just joined the forum and am interested in William Crawford, the chief engineer. His merchant navy record gives his last place of abode as Fourscoreacre, Cairncastle. Although he also had a brother, Alexander, at sea, their mother had died in 1911, so the above story about one brother returning home for this reason may relate to someone or something else. Does William Crawford appear in the picture of the crew? The family would love to see this.

William Crawford was my grandfather he had a family one girl and two boys Jennie William Robert Jennie my mother was the oldest she was eight years old when my grandfather was drowned my grandmother never married again my mother married Stanley Duffin and had a family of three boys six girls we lived at fourscoreacre my grannies moved to a house at closeburn bay ballygally Robert became a sea captain and served on shell tankers and the head line boats