Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Graves in Gloucester Old Cemetery I've 'adopted'

Ceinwen

Hi

Via the WFA Cheltenham and Gloucester branch I've agreed to 'adopt' two WW1 graves in Gloucester Old Cemetery. This involves keeping the graves tidy and placing a cross for Remembrance Day each November. Part of the adoption is also research those buried there. The two I've agreed to do are as follows:

Name: JOHNSON, REGINALD

Initials: R

Nationality:United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Army Medical Corps

Unit Text: 2nd/3rd North Midland Field Amb.

Date of Death: 29/03/1916

Service No: 2386

Additional information: Son of George and Alice Johnson, of 41, Midland Rd., Gloucester. Born at Swindon.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 3959

Name: BICK, HARRY GILBERT

Initials: H G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Army Medical Corps

Unit Text: 3rd South Midland Field Ambulance

Date of Death: 21/04/1915

Service No: 2177

Additional information: Son of the late John and Maria Bick of 17, Wellington Street, Gloucester. Born at Sharpness.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: NG. 3974.

Any information anyone can give me from the SDGW or anything else would be gratefully received so I can get started on my research.

Many thanks

Ceinwen

Not much to add from SDGW.

Harry: Resident in Bristol and recorded as Died.

Reginald: Resident in Wolverhampton also Died.

Good luck with your research and adoption.

Dave

It is often worth while to plough through the local papers of the time. If you start from the dates of death and look through the following month or so you might well find reports of their deaths, and some additional information about their homes and the cause of death. Earlier editions might just have mention of wounds if they had been wounded overseas.

You will probably find the papers on microfilm in the local studies part of your main library.

Keith

I hope Dave won't take it amiss if I contradict him, but the SDGW record says that these men enlisted in Bristol (Pte. Bick) and Wolverhampton (Pte. Johnson) - not that they were residents. Both men have blank place-of-residence entries.

Tom

Just thought I'd post a quick update as there appears to be an amazing connection with these two men. I 'picked' them at random from a long list given to me as both were RAMC men like my grandad. I've found one of them, Reginald, on the 1901 Census with his family - living next door to the sister and brother of the other one, Harry Bick!

Thought that was an amazing coincidence until I went to the Gloucester Archives today and found the funeral write up for Reginald. Two of the mourners at the funeral were his Aunt and Uncle - Mr and Mrs Bick. Have checked since and it would seem that his mother's sister married Harry's dad's brother!

Seems I was destined to research these two chaps together. Can't believe a random pick of two men of the many from WW1 turn out to be related in some way. Small world.

Ceinwen

Ceinwen

No entry for either in Service records or De Ruvigny on Ancestry UK.

There is a thread here somewhere about an RAMC database.

Sotonmate

Some info on RAMC Database (may be helpful).

/