Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Catalogues from Makers of Artillery Pieces

Hoplophile

The years leading up to the Great War were a golden age for the private firms that made artillery pieces. However, in thirty odd years of delving into archives and research libraries, I have only found one catalogue from one of these makers. (This catalogue, which I found in the Library of Congress in Washington, was from the Bethlehem Steel Company, featured both American and British weapons, and had text in both English and Spanish. The catalogue itself does not bear a date. However, the librarian who put the document in the system gave it a date of 1916.)

Has anyone seen any other artillery catalogues from this period?

I don't think I have ever seen an artillery catalogue, perhaps because most weapons were made to meet the individual customer's requirements.

I have seen plenty of promotional material for automatic weapons, Vickers, Madsen etc, but 20-25mm is about the largest calibre that I know of.

Regards

TonyE

Not a catalogue as such, but this link will take you to Barrow Museum which has

a photographic archive of Vickers field and naval guns and other manufacturers.

http://www.dockmuseum.org.uk/archive/index.asp

Grandads was the 6" field howitzer :D

Regards,

Norman

The years leading up to the Great War were a golden age for the private firms that made artillery pieces. However, in thirty odd years of delving into archives and research libraries, I have only found one catalogue from one of these makers. (This catalogue, which I found in the Library of Congress in Washington, was from the Bethlehem Steel Company, featured both American and British weapons, and had text in both English and Spanish. The catalogue itself does not bear a date. However, the librarian who put the document in the system gave it a date of 1916.)

Has anyone seen any other artillery catalogues from this period?

Bruce,

One from Krupp sold on e-bay not too long ago, for something like 185 dollars.

Paul

EDIT: Link here:

Krupp Catalog on e-bay