Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Naval Medals

My Grandfather Samuel Allen served in the royal Navy 1897 -1916 and as a result of visiting National Archives at Kew I have ascertained that he was awarded three medals - 1914-1915 Star, Victory Medal, British War Medal. Kew were not much help about medals pre 1914, can anyone help where I might find this information, Kew records (on microfiche) appear to cover only 1914-1920

Thanks

SAM ALLEN

I would suggest you initially get hold of a copy of British Battles & Medals {various editions} which will give details of the plethora of Campaign Medals that tentatively your man could be entitled to....

It also gives some indication as to Ships entitled to those awards {however it could be quite easy for a man to serve @ that time & NOT be entitled to any awards,as he could be serving in "non War Zones";for all that period.

Possible entitlement could include:~ China 1900,South Africa 1899~1902,East & West Africa,India,etc,A Study of the Service Sheet & Ships served on might give indication as to any Medal entitlement pre 1914.

He should have at least received a long distance (LSGC) medal unless he was a naughtly boy at some stage of his service

David

Kew records (on microfiche) appear to cover only 1914-1920

The naval medal rolls at Kew, on microfilm, go back to the Naval General Service Medal 1793-1840 (but K Douglas-Morris's roll for that is probably better). If you identify any other campaigns that he was involved in, following HarryBettsMCDCM's advice, the medal roll will be in ADM 171.

The Royal Navy was vast and the global presence menat that not many ships were close to land war zones. Also there were some campaigns (such as Crete in 1898 and the suppression of the East African slave trade) that didn't result in Campaign medals.

He should have at least received a long distance (LSGC) medal unless he was a naughtly boy at some stage of his service

If he was awarded the LSGC medal there should be a criptic note that could be just "traced M", but could be clearer "traced medal."